Very important tip for new turtle owners or those thinking of it.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Tip for turtle care (aquatic) If you ever have a question about aquatic turtles ask here or email me @ (e-mail address removed)
If it is an emergency text me at 706-957-2900
I had a man call me yesterday about a turtle he had bought and I thought it would be a good idea to share the info because the problem was actually quite common yet very serious and potentially lethal to the turtle.
He called because his turtle had become very sluggish and was not basking or moving much unless it was immediately after feeding. My first thought was that either the basking area was not warm enough or accessible or that the water heater had failed. Turns out it was number 2 because when he looked at the temp of the water is was 61 F so luckily we got the problem resolved by "blocking" him into the bask area until the water was heated back up to about 75 F. Now why is this important? Well because if the temp had remained that low and he continued to feed the turtle it would have went into shock and mild sepsis because it would not be metabolizing the food it ate and unfortunately it would have froze to death in a day or 2 if not not sooner depending on the stress level.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bottom line -- learn all you can about a new pet before you get one, especially if it's an exotic (turtle,ferret, etc.....), and monitor it and its environment carefully!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Bottom line -- learn all you can about a new pet before you get one, especially if it's an exotic (turtle,ferret, etc.....), and monitor it and its environment carefully!
Exactly!
And also learn all you can about the source you get it from and make sure they have at least some form of after purchase support to answer your questions or have someone else who you can contact in case you run into an unexpected situation or one you simply don't understand.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I meant to ask you a while back but forgot, Where did you get your box turtles ? were they from a pet store or are they natives you found in the area because they are very interesting in appearance and look like ornate box turtles to me. I would love to have a keeled box turtle but I have never seen one anywhere for sale and am not sure about their legal status but they are also a beautiful turtle similar to box turtles. Last time I checked the were endangered in the wild and only the captives are still doing okay. Mostly due to people eating the wild or destroying their habitat.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Marshall Long story, but 15+ years ago [before I knew better], I found a boxie [male] and was given a boxie [female]. They did what turtles do, and eventually I started finding eggs when I would re-arrange the habitat. First year I tried to incubate them indoors, but didn't get the humidity right and the eggs burst prematurely. Second year I decided to leave them in the ground, but lack of humidity and bugs got to them. Third year, I went for the incubator again, found 2 about 1/2 through their incubation period. These 2, Turbo and Charger, hatched, but had infected yolk sacs. Nursed them through it. Forth year I found several separate clutches that I incubated indoors. Four hatched. Then in addition, I found 2 hatchlings in the habitat that hatched naturally. Afterward, no more eggs laid. So, ended up with 8 hatchlings over a 2-year period. Eventually, Mom & Dad turtles managed to escape [before I was super diligent about escape-proofing]. A couple of years ago, one of the babies disappeared -- I think I accidently tossed her out with some dirt :( They are 3-toed Easterns. Some have Mom's olive-colored shell, some have Dad's darker brown shell, and some are in-between. Two have Mom's skin color and facial coloring [reddish orange] and the rest have Dad's dramatic black & white markings.

Ask a Question