very new to this

Reaction score
This is el cheapo! I made this in 3 1/2 weeks with $210.00. I used a kiddie pool, hand picked rocks, my husband made my bio-filter. The 2 pumps where the most expensive things. View attachment 1259

View attachment 1260

View attachment 1261 I have put so far 4 goldfish in,3 have survived for 1 week thus far. I don't know what happened to the 4th.

Attachments

• 100_0498.jpg
    100_0498.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 493
  • 100_0500.jpg
    100_0500.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 100_0501.jpg
    100_0501.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 402

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
This is a work of art!
However, you better have good circulation and filtration or this will quickly become an algae laden pond. It is too small to stay this nice.

Reaction score
DrDave, this is what I am worried about. Maybe you can advise. I have a 155 gph pump and a up to 600 gph pump. I have a home made bio-filter.(5 quart above pool). Do you think this is sufficient? There is more room than looks, the area under waterfall is open for protection as well as shade. I am anxiously awaiting your reply.

Reaction score
would that be 5 gallon filter or 1 1/2 gallon. I'd recommend getting a small rubbermaid container or a 5 gallon bucket may be big enough. The small pump is probably big enough to run through the filter if its just one of those plastic kiddie pools that are preformed. You can use the 600gph pump for more flow over the falls but it would be to big to run through a small filter.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding oldhead. I do have the big pump hooked to the falls and the smaller one hooked to the filter. I'm not sure of the size of filter it is home made.(about the size of a gallon paint can.)

Reaction score
when it comes to filters it really can't be too big. 5gallon buckets are pretty common but maybe a 10 gallon container would be better.

Reaction score
Thanks again for your response. I have noticed what I think to be string algae forming. I worked so very hard on this and am very disappointed. I thought I had did my research. Do you think the water will balance out? Today is exactly one week of water and 3 small goldfish.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just got home from work. I see your questions have already been addressed. A 5 qt filter is too small. A 5 gallon as previously mentioned is preferred. Don't worry about string algae, it will take care of itself. Just remove by hand any excess.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You might want to have a backup area ready, My kiddie pool that I used for a nursery sprung a leak. The plastic in those is only good for one season in the sun.

Ask a Question