Very Sick Goldfish, Brown fungus or fuzz

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have one fish that is clearly very ill. There is brown fuzz growing on him and beneath that fuzz is just white, as though his scales have been shed. He is lethargic, not eating, and has labored breathing. I have not done a water test but can. We are in a rural area and such things are not readily available. There are 8 other very healthy and active fish in the same pond. These fish have been there together and seemingly healthy for over 3 years. We are in Virginia and with summer temps upon us, the water is likely pretty warm. Posting photos. Can anyone help? Fish is about 5" long.

Attachments

• IMG_4892.jpg
    IMG_4892.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_4893.jpg
    IMG_4893.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4894.jpg
    IMG_4894.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to test the water with liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and KH if you have it.

This looks pretty bad, as I'm sure you know and I don't hold out much hope for this one. How long has the fish been like this?

I would definitely separate him from the other fish as soon as possible. It would be easier to treat him that way and if this is bacterial, the antibiotic treatment wouldn't kill your filters if he's in a separate tub of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello! Thank you for seeking advice on how to help your fish! I am assuming this is a goldfish based upon the age and size. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You'll definitely want to quarantine this fish. Not only will it make treatment easier (and cheaper), it will also prevent the other fish from nipping at him out of curiosity, causing more stress and potentially greater damage.

Quarantine this fish in a tank (a plastic storage tote should be fine if you don't have an aquarium handy). Fill 75% of the tote with pond water, and then add the fish. Slowly top off the water level using clean (de-chlorinated) tap water. You'll want to slowly cycle out the pond water and replace it with clean water over the course of the day. If your water quality is bad, this will help a great deal.

You'll want to treat with salt right away. This will help heal external wounds, and combat the fungal infection. It stimulates the healthy slime coat that normally protects the fish from these kinds of infections.

It would be helpful if we could get a picture of the fish before it got sick. I can't tell what color the fins are supposed to be. If there is blood in the fins, that can be a sign of chemical poisoning (test your water quality), or a blood-based bacterial infection that will need to be treated with antibiotics, preferably in food. There's obviously a fungal infection going on, but these often only occur because of the weakness and stress brought on by a more significant problem (water quality issues, parasites, or bacterial infection).

Add a bubbler to the quarantine tank if you are able, and keep it somewhere with a stable temperature. Do frequent water changes, and consider using a product that neutralizes ammonia in between those water changes (Sechem Prime, or API Ammo Lock, for example) for extra protection. Do not rely on these products to make the tank safe--I have lost several fish because I foolishly thought I could "wait until morning" before performing a water change, counting on these products to make that a possibility.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

The above article discusses saprolegnia fungus, commonly referred to as SAP. It is typically a secondary invader, entering tissue already damaged. The SAP is probably what you're referring to as "brown fuzz" growing on the fish and as you mentioned underneath it it appears there is damaged tissue ...the white area and possible loss of scales.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

The above article discusses saprolegnia fungus, commonly referred to as SAP. It is typically a secondary invader, entering tissue already damaged. The SAP is probably what you're referring to as "brown fuzz" growing on the fish and as you mentioned underneath it it appears there is damaged tissue ...the white area and possible loss of scales.
That was my first thought, as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've looked up SAP and it seems likely. Unfortunately, our friend expired soon after I posted this. All of his pond mates seem fine. I've ordered a test kit since I realized that I should have had that on hand anyway. I've also reached out to a local expert who is stopping by tomorrow to consult on this pond and another issue I have with the Koi. We've been lucky so far, but I realize that I need a little more education in this area! Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Very sorry. Sounds like you're on the right path to expanding your pond / fish education.

Ask a Question