addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is unreal, how can you even keep it at 1/2 ml.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I only hope that the tumor doesnt grow back as this would all be for nothing , we have a number of books showing that it is quite possible to do life changing operations on fish ourselves should we wish to try this try this ourselves .
In Doctor Erik E Johnson DVM's book"Fancy Goldfish", it includes one relatively minor operation to correct the swimpbladder problem of a fancy goldfish who's problem is that cant get down from the surface.
However he shows the reader how to do this operation simply by adding a number of "sterilized", quarts aquarium gravel to the belly cavity of the fish .
It seems a relitively straight forward operation which we could do .
In another book"The Fundamentals of ornamental fish Health" by Helen E Roberts she describes how you can prolong the time that you anethatize your fish by use of a fish tank, an aquarium pump a long length of air hose and a spong with a large "V" cut out to both hold as well as stabize our fish within it
The anestheic water fills the tank to the half way mark giving you a reservour of it to work from, The koi/ goldfish is then put the "V"....then the airhose is passed into the fishes mouth so that a water flow passes over its gills.
As it passes through the gills, the Anethatized water soaks back through the sponge, to where the pump is sat in a reservour of anethetic water.
It is then be passed back up and through the gills and so on and so forth as they say.
So by adopting this method we are giving ourselves more time to (for instance), to be able to remove scales from the infected area of an Ulceration cauterizing as we go along any bleeding by use of a shaving stick.
Thus it stands to reason that by taking our time the wound would have a better chance of healing after we have cleaned it out,
Advance stuff yes and no, if your just Starting out using anethetic on your own fish then the answer would be no , but as your skill using anethetic increases with practice, then why not try it .
Weve got the aquarium , the air hose, the aquarium pump already to try this out , so basically all we need to find is the right type of sponge, then we are ready to try it .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Helen Roberts is an aquatic vet in New York http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/wetvet...dcast-an-interview-with-dr-helen-roberts-dvm/

A couple people who I know from an old fish forum have taken their fish to her.
Ho did they get on with her answers and treatments of Maria ?
I recomend her book to you if you have the time pop over to Amazon and buy it its well worth the money paid for it simply because of the information the book contains .
Ours originally came from Amazon CAN bought by a Canadian friend in return for a favour sent over to her .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't remember the details Dave (this was some time ago now) but the two people that I know have taken their fish to her have done so more than once. They even took photos of the exam and or procedures that were done on their fish. If I recall at least one had a wen trim. Another had some type of cancer behind the eye and had to have eyes removed. I don't remember the other issues.

I wouldn't consider either person a novice fish keeper and they both take excellent care of their fish.

I will check Amazon for the book by Dr Roberts (I didn't realize she wrote one)

Ask a Question