Video of a Ruby Throated Hummingbird

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I tried to attract these this year and failed. I'm using a red hanger from Home Depot. Any hints for me to attract these? Maybe I did it a bit late in the year (started hanging the nectar dispencer in May).

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
That's beautiful. Saw a hawk battling with a pair of crows this morning, by the time I got the cam ready it was over, but the sound was incredible.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just had to refill my two feeders as there were quite a few coming to eat. They do not like to share!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I tried to attract these this year and failed. I'm using a red hanger from Home Depot. Any hints for me to attract these? Maybe I did it a bit late in the year (started hanging the nectar dispencer in May).
I find the most basic feeders do best. They do like to sit also, so have the perch for them. I do put mind out early in the season (late march). Really no trick, natural flowers and the sugar water and they just show up. Keep the water clean too, if it is old they do not like it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I just had to refill my two feeders as there were quite a few coming to eat. They do not like to share!
No they do not like to share, they do much better when the young are around too. They tend to share a little better. The males chase off everyone.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They also do not like feeders that have been washed w/soap so I wash mine w/just hot water and all utensils too. All utensils I use for making the sugar water gets used only for the hummers. My feeders also are just the basic red ones w/the perches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
They also do not like feeders that have been washed w/soap so I wash mine w/just hot water and all utensils too. All utensils I use for making the sugar water gets used only for the hummers. My feeders also are just the basic red ones w/the perches.

I've notice that also. But I do know they don't mind it if it's been bleached then rinsed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html
. That's a good site to check migration in spring time. Always try to put a feeder out a little early so the "scouts" will find it. The more hummers you get the more feeders you need. Also try to separate them a bit so the aggressive hummers can't control them all at one time.

Don't give up if it takes a while for them to show up. Mine were late this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My suggestion is to put a couple of feeders out and keep fresh nectar (change once a week) even if you think no birds are coming, because eventually they will, and the next year, they will come back to your feeder!

I did the same thing to attract Oriole...I kept fresh jelly out all summer long, even if I saw no birds coming to eat it, then at the end of the season I got one or two (probably on their way heading south) and sure enough the next year I had Oriole at the feeder when the season started....now they are everywhere!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My suggestion is to put a couple of feeders out and keep fresh nectar (change once a week) even if you think no birds are coming, because eventually they will, and the next year, they will come back to your feeder!

I did the same thing to attract Oriole...I kept fresh jelly out all summer long, even if I saw no birds coming to eat it, then at the end of the season I got one or two (probably on their way heading south) and sure enough the next year I had Oriole at the feeder when the season started....now they are everywhere!

Good luck!

Makes sense, thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):

I have planted a bunch of Utah native low maintenance plants in my yard and they attract hummingbirds more than any other plants. We have swarms of them now. Its nice since I don't have to worry about feeders. In the mornings they splash around in my water pots.

I assume the plants work so well, because the native hummingbirds are use to the native plants.

Ask a Question