Video of Great Blue Heron eating a baby alligator !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

Just goes to show what formidable hunters they are....which is why nets are the best defense against them !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow, what a meal! He won't need to eat for days. Hope the gator didn't bite at him all the way down!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are great hunters, I have watched them inhale a few of my fish. One beautiful long finned orange one that was blind. I could not get outside fast enough to scare it away.

Pond now netted all of the time, wide weave, does not bother me one bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just found this video a bit shocking.......I guess they'll eat anything they can fit gown their gullet, like a snake !! Now I'm curious about their digestive system, how it "processes" such a meal and how long it takes ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
here you go

Great Blue Heron Digestion
Picture

The neck, beak and legs of a Great Blue Heron allow them to be amazing hunters. A special vertebrae in their necks which create an "s" shape allow them to snap their necks deep into water or in the air to catch their prey at lighting fast speeds. Their razor sharp beaks allow them to stab their prey, especially fish, to stop them and kill them quickly and efficiently before swallowing them whole. Their long legs allow them to wade in deeper water to catch more fish, insects and frogs without as much effort.

Birds have higher metabolic rates than humans which means they can digest faster. Most birds and herons in particular have a loose digestive tract. Herons do not have crops, which is most birds are sacs used to contain a meal for it is digested. Herons instead just sallow their meals down their flexible esophagus's and into their loose and stretchable stomachs. [1] Heron stomachs are so flexible that they are able to stretch down and even past the cloaca. Herons also do not have gizzards which are in most other birds and help break down tougher parts of the food like bones. Like in humans, the pancreas and the liver release bile and insulin and glucagon. Bile breaks down lipids. Insulin and glucagon regulate blood sugar levels. Herons also absorb nutrients from their food in the intestinal villi. In carnivores, such as the Great Blue the small intestine is shorter and less coiled then in non- meat eating birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 good info but do they have a crop or not as you show one in the diagram but in your info it says no crop unless I am reading it wrong. Wish I could have their metabolic system :smuggrin:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 good info but do they have a crop or not as you show one in the diagram but in your info it says no crop unless I am reading it wrong. Wish I could have their metabolic system :smuggrin:
no clue that was per a quick look up on the web!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
at least our fsh are faster than gators!....... or are they?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
at least our fsh are faster than gators!....... or are they?
The problem is the heron will stand like a statue until a fish swims by. Also that slight stirring up of the bottom has them come running.

One just flew over about a hour ago, you see them pause and look down at the pond, but keep going.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
The problem is the heron will stand like a statue until a fish swims by. Also that slight stirring up of the bottom has them come running.

One just flew over about a hour ago, you see them pause and look down at the pond, but keep going.
I have never had herons, like ever. it is strange since our property almost backs up to spring creek, but I guess I just don't have enough fish for them to be interested!

The neighbors cats, and all the racoons are quite interested though!

Ask a Question