Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share this....

I saw this idea on Youtube a while back and wanted to try it out.... basically a normal Aquarium, tuned upside down and resting on bricks so it's just under the water level.

Then you suck all the air out of it, and atmospheric pressure forces the water up into the vacuum, creating a viewing Tower for the fish.

Took them about a week to get used to it, but they use it all the time now. Apart from being a 'feature' it's also a good way to view the fish more closely to check for problems. :)

Cheers

Andy.

pond1.jpg
pond2.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
go to goodwill they always have old ones .I saw 3 of them this weekend for 5 dollars here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I have been looking for an old aquarium so I can try this. Looks cool!

It is :)

Needs a bit of maintenance though. Algae will grow on the inside, so I've got an aquarium glass cleaner which i use once a week, and any gas bubbles from the pond floor + bits of plants etc also get caught, so i have to remove that once a week too.

Also better placed in a partly shady area of the pond... the water inside heats up a bit in direct sunlight.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cant remember how it went...
But somehow this is unhealthy for the fish...
Think it was, sometimes it the water in there practically boils, and gas builds up in it, hazards like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
I cant remember how it went...
But somehow this is unhealthy for the fish...
Think it was, sometimes it the water in there practically boils, and gas builds up in it, hazards like that.

Yep, that's why it should be in shade.

As for lack of O2... the fish moving in and out provide some circulation, but it's been in there all summer and haven't seen any issues so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Austria
Plastic tubing. Push it right up into the tank at its highest point, and then suck the air out.

I want to get a small foot pump though... it's easy to get a mouthful of pond water... not nice :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i have tried it , its very cool , just i had algae issue so i removed it was too much cleaning we have sunny days here, if u want to keep it permanent u can buy one magnet cleaner u can use it from out side

lack of oxygen dsnt make sense i dont know why would some one think this , its very small portion of pond and fishes are not trapped in it , they come in and out . fishes are very smart even if one portion have less oxygen in pond they will go to a place where they have more .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plastic tubing. Push it right up into the tank at its highest point, and then suck the air out.

I want to get a small foot pump though... it's easy to get a mouthful of pond water... not nice :)
In youtube videos they use a wet/ dry vacuum to suck air out

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lack of oxygen dsnt make sense i dont know why would some one think this
Small space
0 agitation, fish do not add oxygen to the tank weather they move or not, this doesn't make oxygen.
and Algae.

How does this not make sense?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Small space
0 agitation, fish do not add oxygen to the tank weather they move or not, this doesn't make oxygen.
and Algae.

How does this not make sense?
ur criticizing others ideas . lol when we did to u on ur thread, u were crying why is that ?
i never said fish brings oxygen in , i said there is no need for oxygen there , fish are freely moving in and out even with zero oxygen , it wudnt matter , beside that the tank is part of the pond and water does circulate gently in all the pond no mater which corner so there wud b oxygen in it but can b few degrees less it dsnt harm fish atall .

ye i think others mentioned about fish swiming in and out that can help circulate water aswell , bringing fresh water in with oxygen , its mixing 24 hour in a gentle pase , try adding some dye on one corner of pond , remember the water is not trapped inside , its the aquarium that is under pressure so water inside is free to move .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm into this. Couldn't I submerge the tank, let the water fill it, flip it upside down while submerged, then raise it while not letting air back into it?

Ask a Question