Viewing window in raised timber octagonal pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A quick question to you good folks -

I have recently purchased a new raised timber pond made by garden timber company . It is a 10 foot octagon , 44mm thickness and 1 meter deep, 1478 gallons.
I am thinking about maybe fitting a window into one of the sides of the octagon, but before i start cutting up some of the boards, i was wondering if this would be a big no no.! I know it will invalidate the warranty, but if it will still be . sound structurally then i am prepared to give it a go.

Any thoughts and ideas on whether i should attempt this and whether i would need some additional strenghening to border the window - im a bit concerned that the water volume will force the 44 mm thick timbers (they are tongue and grooved) to bow out

Your thoughts are welcome

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Fastcat ! I have literally no advice to offer you, as my constructions skills are zero but did want to say hello and encourage you to search the forum. We have had a few threads posted by people who did exactly that. One recently was dealing with some leaking issues I believe... I'll see if I can find it and link it here!

Here you go!

That's a recent one. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your pond sounds interesting. I cant help you with your idea either, but look through these forums. There have been members that have worked with glass. Can you post a picture?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1579882968732.gif
@Fastcat
@whiskey who was a member here did a viewing window also. It's a long thread so you will have to look through it to find some info that you may be looking for: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/whiskeys-new-pond-project.8363/page-21

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies so far. I have attached a photo of what the pond will look like. Each side wall is approx 42 inches long and there are 8 boards that interlock for each side with each board being approx 5.5 inches. I was thinking of maybe putting in a window in at least one side to be 3 boards high - about 16 inches . Not decided on length yet but maybe 24 inches. I know people have put windows in ponds with much thicker walls - these are only 44 m thiick even though they are tongue and grooved.

Attachments

• octagonal-wooden-pond_10ft_1099mm-height_44mm-thick-wall_2.jpg
    octagonal-wooden-pond_10ft_1099mm-height_44mm-thick-wall_2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 124
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You could clearly put a window into the design but for every action there has to be an equal and opposite action . so if you remove some of the plank you need to add some plank just like a door or a header in any opening your trick will be how big an opening and how big the jacks header and sill needs to be
if your jacks were driven into the ground where they are buried in concrete this could take the pressure of the water you reduced the frame from holding. It is not a difficult build to do half lap joints all the same same to create the octagon. But it is quite another to build a window into that design. what is called c channel weather hand made in wood or metal sandwiching in the wood frame of your octagon on the outside of the opening and the sandwiching of the glass on the inside you need to allow for both expansion and contraction as well as water tight. Add it all together and i'd take the hit on 15 percent re stalking fees and buy one they have with a window. yeah i know no fun . And i am not one who would return i would try to re work it but be ready to modify the first rework. It could be a challenge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have been meaning to update this post for months now. So i took the decision to put a window in the pond. 18 months later its still holding out and working fine. Will post more details later with more photos but here are a couple or now -
2021-09-29 13.09.23.jpg
2021-09-30 12.43.12.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! Good looking water and pond also

Ask a Question