Violent Prisoner given fish tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Heres an interesting story where fish are being used to help with an otherwise violent prisoner .
This isnt the frst time I have heard of this, the last time was when a double murderer [a former RAF srgent who had killed both his Wife and Father in law in an argument] was given tanks and he went on to be the formost authority on Tilapea .
He was promised a top job by a top Scotish University, who sadly when he was released from Prison promtly recinded the offer.
He now works for a koi farm in Scotland

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co...._aquarium_to_help_pacify_him&utm_content=html

I hope this works for him I really do

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Maria believe it or not the Prisoners are very good when it comes to privaliges like these and look after the animals in their charge with the utmost care to some its the first time ever that they have been trusted like this .
I assure you that the well being of the animals are taken into account before embarking on projects such as these and if it quells the madding beast all the better as that is one more prisoner who has learned the disapline it takes to look after our pets and in part themselves

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm...that would be more applicable if they had given him a parakeet! ;)

I've heard of prisons where the inmates are taught to train helper dogs. The recidivism rate upon release is extremely low. Having something to care for can really change a life.
The prisoner who ended up the worlds formost expert on Tilapea was fundamental in changing their colouration so that people would use them as a food sourse aparently their original colour being the colour of mourning or something along those lines that stopped people eating them,
I worked with prisoners in a Devon and Cornwall probation service resettlement unit as a volunteer worker and many prisoners just need a chance to prove themselves , if this has to do with fish and this guy makes it all the better for society in general .
Not all deserve the trust but many genuinely wish to change their ways lets give them a chance , we all do things we later live to regret they want to turn things around thus they should be given that trust .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Animals are the best for teaching compassion and responsibility to prisoners. Back in my former life in Ohio, I took in rescue dogs for a rescue organization, and would foster and find homes for them. Only very special dogs are selected for the prison therapy programs, and I was so proud to have one of my fosters make the cut! There is always, ALWAYS a responsible animal handler there, monitoring every situation. But the dogs were spoiled, loved, well-cared for, and well-trained through the prisoners in the program. The prisoners often were much reformed by the love they developed for these animals, and their new sense of pride and accomplishment in training and working with the animals.

I'm hopeful that the fish are also monitored, as the article said they were kept on a platform, not directly in a cell or anything. Watching fish swim is scientifically proven to be one of the most calming and meditative things a human can do. So I see great potential here! Thanks for sharing @Dave 54 !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
A lot of research has been done about cutting people off from nature (especially children) and how it's very detrimental to mental health. Something like this might not be a solution for EVERY offender in prison, but for those who are willing and able to be rehabbed, I think it's a great start. Even something like a garden would help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A lot of research has been done about cutting people off from nature (especially children) and how it's very detrimental to mental health. Something like this might not be a solution for EVERY offender in prison, but for those who are willing and able to be rehabbed, I think it's a great start. Even something like a garden would help.
I totally agree many are cut of from nature nowadays and it does have a detrimental effect especially in kids , I was lucky enought to be raised amongst aminals many larger than me around the farms where my grandad used to help out .
Its a sad fact that many UK cildren have never been to the countryside or the seaside however many schools now employ nature ponds for the children and many cities have working city farms for children to go to and be hands on .
The prisoners allowed to do this are normally lifers with plenty of time to spare they become calmer and some have even been released on licence thanx to this .
So you could say it's a win win situation

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
This psychopath should be serving more than six years in prison for his crimes... This aside, I don't think someone like this deserves this privilege. He's in prison for a good reason. He doesn't deserve the happiness that comes from owning fish while incarcerated. It's not like he's there for selling pot, he's there for stabbing people at random. If it were me or my family member that were a victim of his senseless violence, I wouldn't want him to have this privilege.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If you read the first part of this correctly one of those violent prisoners in for double murder became the leading light on Talapia changing their colouration so they could be used as food crop in the third world.
He lost it killed his faher in law and his wife after finding his wife had left him and stripped the marital home whilst he was away with the Royal Air Force .
So are we to punish the man forever Edinborough University promised him a job when he came out of prison then back tracked even though they had made him a promise .
Just because a person makes a hienous mistake in life he shouldnt be punished again which is what happened here , to me thats darn right nasty of them isnt it ?
But then again I'm not a double murderer we cant have one of those on the staff now can we think of the good of the University ?
God it makes me angry the double standards folks have

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you read the first part of this correctly one of those violent prisoners in for double murder became the leading light on Talapia changing their colouration so they could be used as food crop in the third world.
He lost it killed his faher in law and his wife after finding his wife had left him and stripped the marital home whilst he was away with the Royal Air Force .
So are we to punish the man forever Edinborough University promised him a job when he came out of prison then back tracked even though they had made him a promise .
Just because a person makes a hienous mistake in life he shouldnt be punished again which is what happened here , to me thats darn right nasty of them isnt it ?
But then again I'm not a double murderer we cant have one of those on the staff now can we think of the good of the University ?
God it makes me angry the double standards folks have

Dave

He murdered two people. He ended two people's lives permanently. So, yes, he should be punished forever. Edinborough University should have never offered him a job in the first place. That was their mistake. A murderer has no place in a university.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Each person to their own beliefs here Max I've worked with rehabilitated prisoners my thoughts are opposite They have done the time paid for the crime are we to punish them too .
What about the dnererous driver who kills a child and ends up with a heafty fine and points on their licence or the drunk who does the same , they took a life should not they too be given time behind bars they used a vehicle as their weapon,
We all make mistakes to a greter or lesser degree who am I to cast that first stone ???

DAae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Each person to their own beliefs here Max I've worked with rehabilitated prisoners my thoughts are opposite They have done the time paid for the crime are we to punish them too .
What about the dnererous driver who kills a child and ends up with a heafty fine and points on their licence or the drunk who does the same , they took a life should not they too be given time behind bars they used a vehicle as their weapon,
We all make mistakes to a greter or lesser degree who am I to cast that first stone ???

DAae

A drunk driver who kills someone, almost without fail, does time behind bars. As far as car accidents, well that obviously depends on the specifics of each particular situation. However, killing someone in cold blood is FAR different from killing someone on accident, even if it was negligent (like DUI). The difference is INTENT.

As far as a criminal doing the time. Well, that's fine and dandy. They are free once they do their time (even if it may not be enough for a particular crime). However, if they don't get a good job or are treated poorly after getting out of prison, that's not being punished twice. It's reaping the consequences of their actions. Regardless, my thoughts are that while incarcerated, they shouldn't be given privileges such as television, video games, or pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terinb

Latest Threads