Virgin Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nearly finished pond(s). about 3m x3m split level. 1500mm waterblade with Leds. Shaumsprudler in top narrower pond. Double concrete block with mass concrete infill.

Have put couple inches sand on concrete raft at bottom of ponds. Got a 30000 tornado pump for the water blade (bit too powerful?) and an Aqarius 6000 for the shaum sprudler....haven't tested anything yet, still some final finishing to do....and garden electrics getting installed next week.

Do I need to place pumps (quite heavy) on something flat to protect butyl liner? Thought if pumps placed directly on liners they might press down into the compacted sand underneath leading to distortion of liner and subsequent damage?

If so, what?...eg should it be something like a patio slab and if so should it be wrapped in butyl to make it less damaging?

Haven't much knowledge or experience with ponds so would appreciate any input.

Cheers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome don't know any thing about those kind of pumps but some one on here may ,All pumps should never be on the bottom of the pond and some here tie them to a crate a piece an extra piece of liner under the crate .I have mine tied to a pipe that goes across my pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sissy.
Thanks for replying so quick.
Blimey, aren't the pumps a bit heavy to suspend them...would need a scaffold pole!
Trying for the ornamental look so nowhere really to put a pipe where it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.
But the crate is a good idea with the extra rubber underneath...thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sissy,
Just looked at your pics...that's not a pond it's one of the great lakes! You could go after Blue Marlin in a boat!..... Fair play!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! :)
I don't know about those pumps either. But agree with sissy, keep them off the bottom, in case something goes wrong so you don't drain the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone. Cheers Addy1.....will keep it off bottom.
No pics yet...soooooooooooon...hopefully......its so totally unfinished and looks pretty rubbish at the moment....its been leathering it down for a week here now. Only bottom pond liner in yet. Still got to test water blade and led connections, fix it in and stuff lintel over top.
Things slowly taking shape though. Should have garden electrics in shortly. Just got delivery of remote 5 gang switch box and 8 double ip66 sockets. Not decided on most of the garden lights yet.
Whole project won't be finished till spring.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Snowman LOL! You are speaking a foreign language that is Greek to me. I just have simple things in my pond ;). But can't wait to see pictures! And hey, we like to see the "during" pics as well as the "after" pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK.... here's the pics so far. These were ages ago...I've had a lot of stuff going on. Bit more advanced now but will take some pics as soon as weather improves.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 263
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 296
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 256
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses (y)

Ask a Question