Volunteer Bog of sorts

Reaction score
Country
United States
Late last winter I moved our Ficus maclellandii (common name is Ficus Alii) near the turtle's temporary holding tank. I moved the tree to accommodate a Green Anole which is another story! In early summer, the tree sent an aerial root down into the water and created a bog filter (of sorts) that grew about 2 1/2 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide beneath the surface. The tree obviously sensed the presence of water. Interestingly, like the Red Mangrove growing in there, it is of no turtle 'interest.' Just thought I would share another wonder of nature!

Attachments

• IMG_1845 - Stephen Noble 'Volunteer Bog'.JPG
    IMG_1845 - Stephen Noble 'Volunteer Bog'.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1844 - Stephen Noble 'Volunteer bog'.JPG
    IMG_1844 - Stephen Noble 'Volunteer bog'.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Late last winter I moved our Ficus maclellandii (common name is Ficus Alii) near the turtle's temporary holding tank. I moved the tree to accommodate a Green Anole which is another story! In early summer, the tree sent an aerial root down into the water and created a bog filter (of sorts) that grew about 2 1/2 feet long by 1 1/2 feet wide beneath the surface. The tree obviously sensed the presence of water. Interestingly, like the Red Mangrove growing in there, it is of no turtle 'interest.' Just thought I would share another wonder of nature!
good on you, Stephen! I always thought it would be a neat idea to have a mangrove tree for my salt water aquarium but there's just no room in my setup for any height! Sounds like you found a plant that is a true helper there! Nice that Neptune doesn't find it tasty!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice that Neptune doesn't find it tasty!

View attachment 143827
Very cool that you remembered my good friend, Neptune! He is an amazing (and famous) turtle. He climbs on the aerial root(s) and looks at me with a, 'Are you kidding?' expression. Most interesting, I have tested and there is no noticeable change in water chemistry. Possibly because of the Red Mangroves. Hum, could you put any mangroves in a saltwater sump? They are very cool. Neptune sends his regards to Garden Pond Forums!

Ask a Question