Wakin or watonai fry, any special needs?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
So, I accidentally introduced some goldfish fry to an indoor aquarium (it’s a long story involving a short piece of hornwort). Two of them are wakin/watonai (parents are common and shubunkin). One is metallic and the other is a matte or nacreous fry with button eyes. Both of them at this age are clearly not as fast of swimmers as their siblings at around 2ish weeks old and the button eyed one is the runt of the batch (I’m not breeding fish, so won’t be culling) but appears healthy and vigorous despite being small. I had been planning to just toss all the fry back in the pond once they reached the size of the smallest fish already in the pond (white cloud mountain minnows). Should I instead plan to hold back the double tails inside for a bit or will they start catching up soon? Just asking because I had been planning to give the aquarium they are currently in to someone else so need to know if I can still do that or not. I’ll be re-homing most of these babies but would have room to keep these two permanently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have experience with double tailed fish, but understand they don't swim as fast as single tailed fish. Will they compete for food with faster and bigger fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have watonai in my pond with common goldfish, comets, shubunkins and orfes. They don't swim as fast as the others but they do fine. They also don't grow as large as the other fish, at least mine haven't.

I do spread out the food when feeding and I tend to feed pretty generously so everyone gets food. But I have lots of filtration so I can get away with that.

I was a bit worried about them with spawning activity, but that hasn't been an issue either.

Ask a Question