Wall pouches ok to use in tubs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Do you think it would be ok to use these in my tub ponds? Particularly the bigger one, water depth 1 meter (40")? They are made of recycled plastic (water bottles), would be easy to hang from the edges, would give me a lot more planting options and make the bare sides of the tank more favourable for fish and wildlife. Cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3x-Wall-Ho..._SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=wall+hogger&psc=1

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not! That looks like it would work well. Some people here are making a similar thing out of door screening. Sewing it together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
looks interesting, I know there's a new fad going around with planting on walls.
It's a very elaborate watering system, but the concept is similar with plants hanging in bag like pots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
I see them used a lot on programmes on the TV but here in the Mediterranean heat they would dry out too quick unless hung in a very shady spot, hanging them in the water in a tub on the other hand may work, good to know making the from screening is also an option, albeit time-consuming. I suppose these pocket-planters would allow me to plant in the lowest pocket the plants that can go deepest, as they grow lower them down a bit and plant the middle one with plants suitable for that depth and finally the topmost. Thankfully the site waterplantsitaly has the plants handily divided by depth - so back to the sketch-pad!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
In the end I ordered 3 these, 4 pouches each in a horizontal row. Will probably take 2 months to get here from China but I am in no rush.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 300

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Order something from Wish it comes in xxxxxxxxxxxxx weeks. but it does come. I ordered a $1.50 little dog coat, by the time it got here I had forgotten about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
They actually arrived in about 3 weeks, seem sturdy enough. Stuffed them with lava rock, will tie them to pegs outside the tubs. Next week I will order a few more plants, thinking creeping Jenny, marsh marigold, water forget me not and iris, would also get some pickrel (Pontederia cordata) but as it grows quite big would it be best to put it in the bog box or the kidney shaped pond pot?
rps20180715_170023_176.jpg
rps20180715_170023_176.jpg

Attachments

• rps20180715_170051_627.jpg
    rps20180715_170051_627.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are very neat! I don't think I'd put iris in them though - they root pretty deep and grow quite large. I think they would burst right out. Stick to things that are shallow rooting and easy to thin. All the others you mentioned would work great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
Thanks, so I will use the pouches for creeping Jenny, marsh marigold, forget me not and also some of the water mint and dwarf rushes I already have. Would it be best to put the iris in the kidney pot and the pickrel in the bog box or the other way round?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think either would work fine - my irises get really big... pickerel rush is more manageable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Italy
I put a few plants in about a week ago and they seemed to be recovering well from being shipped in the Mediterranean summer heat. I put some marsh marigold, bogbean, creeping Jenny, dwarf rush and cuttings of mint. They seem to be doing well in the pouches filled with lava rock. Got some seedlings of forget-me-not growing, they will go in next. I would say these pouches are a good option for planting a range of small-ish plants in tubs without taking upuch footprint and allowing to keep them contained. We'll see how they hold up over time

Attachments

• IMG_20180811_103112.jpg
    IMG_20180811_103112.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 243

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made my own out of window screening so I can make them any size I want .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my sewing machine is getting a work out as I made them for some of my fellow ponders .I got the rolls of window screening at habitat for humanity for 1.99 .Lucky I bought 10 rolls the last time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
my sewing machine is getting a work out as I made them for some of my fellow ponders .I got the rolls of window screening at habitat for humanity for 1.99 .Lucky I bought 10 rolls the last time
You have lots of handy information @sissy. I may make some pouches, they would be good for submersible plants, and plants above water, with easy access.

Ask a Question