Want to build a pond... I need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi y'all. I'm a new poster to this site and I'm also hoping to become a first time pond owner!
So my story is my girlfriend and I bought a house about 6 months ago and the previous owner had a water feature of some kind set up. Since then it's turned into a weed garden. The previous owner went through a nasty break up and sold the house to us. Our neighbor told us this house used to have a pool but they colapsed the pool and filled it in with the worst dirt know to mankind. Anyways I say that because I'm not sure how deep I would be able to make the pond since at some point under the dirt I will run into tons of concrete. I've been looking on the interwebs and I really like the natural ponds that I've found and I'd like to put fish in the pond eventually.
I guess what I'm asking is where should I start? I'm pretty handy and I'm not afraid of hard work. The area I have is 6ft x 18ft. I'll post pictures below. Thanks for the help and I'll try to answer post as quickly as possible. Thanks

Attachments

• 14260343660721354794540.jpg
    14260343660721354794540.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 260
  • 1426034412998371008098.jpg
    1426034412998371008098.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 264

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I guess what I'm asking is where should I start? Thanks

The first thing is you need to know the length, width, and depth you're planning on, so you'll know what size liner to buy. If you're not sure how deep you can dig, maybe digging will have to be step one, so you can find out. It's important knowing the exact size your pond is going to be before you order the liner.

If you plan to keep fish in it, along with the frogs that will likely show up, you'll need it to be deep enough for them to hibernate in over winter. That all depends on how bad your winters are.

If you need help figuring out what size liner you'll need, you'll be able to share your planned length, width, and depth and we'll be able to figure it out.

Many liners on ebay are bundled with underlayment, and for good reason. You'll need both. It can be expensive, but its the most important part, so you'll want it to last. For me, it was really the only expensive part other than rock. Being on a budget, I went cheap with everything else.

It'll take some work, and it'll definitely get confusing, especially when talking about filters, pumps, winterization, etc, but once its all in and going, it'll feel so worth it and you'll never want a yard without a pond again!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Start by digging out the place you want the pond. See how deep you can get, how much junk you run into. At that time you will know what size of liner to buy.

As you dig ask ??'s the people here love to help. After you know how deep you can get it how wide etc then you will know how many gallons, what kind of pump etc etc.

So first! get the shovel going! and pitch fork and sledge hammer................

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We to the group, as already said just start digging and see what you have to work with. It will be a fun project.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you'll for the warm welcome! I guess I will start diggin' away! It maybe a while before I post again because I started work on a 450sqft deck

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have fun! come back any time with questions

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and digging it out first would be better .Liners you can shop around for but have to say ebay is not really that cheap on them .Foster and smith and webbs and pet solutions are cheaper .I used roofing paper under mine and then a friend sent me a large piece of underlayment .I think I liked the roofing paper better it went down smother and wind did not blow it around and hate to say but the wrinkles from the underlayment show through in a couple of spots after I started to put water in and it wasn't the 45 mil liner .So making sure the thicker stuff under lays really flat is important .Also congrats on your new home and hope you get lots of years of enjoyment out of it .

Ask a Question