Want to build an above ground pond.

Reaction score
So there is no way I could put them in the pot even if I get a metal fitting for it to fit in and it does not touch any plastic? I could even surround it in metal to be safe. That would make things a lot easier.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
That depends a lot on the pot material and the seperation you provide. The element itself is going to get very hot, if you have a metal flange large enough and all of this is in water, then it would work in most any vessel.
Keep in mind, the wiring cannot be in the water. Have you ever seen cup heaters on desks where people make their own tea? There is an element in the cup and 110vac cord attached to it.
This is not rocket science, but it does require you to try to make it work within your skills capability and resources.
What you are trying to do is already a challenge, this is just another part of the adventure. Look at my signature...

Reaction score
My last question on the heater topic. What would be the best thing to use for a thermostat. The water heater kind don't look too accurate and the aquarium heater controllers only support 1000w max and only one heater.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think if I were doing this I would start at Home Depot or Lowes and start asking questions. Find an old guy who has retired from the industry and is working there. The kids don't offer much experience.
I have an Laboratory grade one with a fancy face that will hold it +-1 degree but it is not for sale. I bought it at an electronics surplus store. If you have one around, try that.
You can always use a relay that will handle the current. Just switch the relay with the small thermostat.

Reaction score
I actually just relized I have a 55g drum from when I raised discus. It is blue but I could put it in the ground a foot or so right behind the pond and flow directly in the pond. All i would have to do is find a way to conceal it. I would make mine just like yours but maybe with some scrub pads and then thepvc. It would be easier to put two water heater elements in that too. I found a thermostat I saw some guy use on a DIY air conditioning chiller. Pretty cheap and I could heat the water for less than $100. Looks like my plans are coming right along.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeywell-T675A...0?hash=item3a476c5f37&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Reaction score
Quick question, if I want to make it 8'x8'x2-3' would a 15'x15' liner be big enough just for enough overlap at the top to staple and add a board for finishing. There are some cheap Firestone liners on ebay.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
NO NO NO, 6" is not enough. I leave 18" to 24" and suffer the loss. When you fill this, the water is going to suck in more on one side than the other. With only 6" you will NEVER make if even if it is perfect. You need enough to set stones or pavers or whatever on so that in time when it shrinks it will still be good.

The reason they are a bargain is smart buyers stay away from them. Now if you want a smaller pond, then they may be fine.

This is what my lower pond looked like when I filled it. I almost didn't leave enough to the right of where I was standing, even though I thought I had more than enough.

This pond is 30" deep.

Attachments

• FillLevel at 29M 700 wide.jpg
    FillLevel at 29M 700 wide.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
since it's a perfect square made from lumber it should work fine. why would water pull on one side versus the other. I can see the issue with an odd shaped hole in the ground but an above ground made to measure with lumber won't stretch the liner?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I always error on the side of safety. If you want to push the limits, go for it. Just remember who advised you both pro and con.

If you have never been there, you have no experience to give advice...

Reaction score
Well, I will let you guys duke it out for the answer to this question. I would very much like the 15'x15' to be the answer and may be willing to cut 6" off the height to save money on the liner. I have another idea for the heater. How about this? Is there anyway to calculate how much it would cost me in the winter if it is running 24/7 at 240v and 4000w? This would be a much easier way to heat the water and would not require a great deal of work. I can also buy a hot tub thermostat which are pretty cheap as well.

Reaction score
I just bought a pond liner and did very presise measurements as I wanted to use the 20' role versus 25' role to save some $$ and wasted pond liner. I thought I was cutting it close with 20' wide liner.

After dropping it in, I had extra and a lot of margin. I figure given it's a square and not strange shape like a hand dug pond in the ground that risk is low to cut it close and use the 6" overlap.

Worst case you take one timber off the top and reduce the height or go with a slimmer piece of wood for the top to adjust if the liner doesn't quite fit.

Nothing like getting a good deal!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Holg
Your Ebay find is a good score! Much cleaner than what I have.

On the other issue. I am trying to protect you and keep your project on track.

Nuff said!

Reaction score
Where is a good place for liners. I want to go with that 15x15 because it is so cheap. Anywhere I have seen has 15x20 or 20x20 for 150+.

Ask a Question