Want to close our pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our lives have changed a lot with the birth of our granddaughter. We are actively involved in her childcare and I'm finding our extensive gardens and pond are just too much given how much time we want to spend with sweet. Eleanor.

Is there anyone in the greater Cincinnati area that could provide a good home for our 4 adult koi? I have 2 females and 2 males, they are close to 20 years old.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm sorry to hear this, Tula - but what a great reason! Getting to enjoy your grand baby and be a part of her life is a wonderful thing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The bigger benefit is having kids play at the pond and experience frogs dragon flies water walkers etc. @Tula can you get some photos of them.?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Tula that does make me sad… maybe hold off on the decision until she’s a bit older. Our two year old granddaughter is living with us at the moment and we have so much fun working together on the pond and gardens. She loves “helping” while we talk about the plants and the fish and what they need and how we care for them. Feeding the fish is her “chore” and she takes it very seriously! We have 8 grandchildren in all (number 9 on the way!) and everyone of them are drawn to the pond to see the fish and frogs and bugs - it’s a combination playground and classroom in the backyard. Our grandson is an expert frog catcher and our granddaughter’s “fun fact about me” that she shared at school one day was that her grandparents have a fish pond in their yard.

Just a bit of encouragement from one grandma to another!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Each evening when Eleanor is here we ask if she wants to feed the fish. She smiles broadly as I walk to get the fish food. Then I shake the container and say " What do fishes say?" and we all open our mouths like fish - LOL ! @Lisak1 I can picture your little helpers !

@GBBUDD I tried to post pics to a couple other members and it always says the file is too large :( I will have to look into how to resize them from photos in my lap top.

I didn't know how long lived koi were when we got them. I guess we're also " victims of success" in that we've taken good care of them - LOL !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I found a man who is willing to take our koi. He owns and runs a fish farm ( koi ) about an hour and a half from here. He's willing to come in his truck with a 250 gallon aerated tank and catch them with his koi sock net. He will probably put ChaCha in his breeding pond, but the other three will retire in his largest pond with their 30 + year old koi.

It's a good offer at a good time, but I feel very emotional !!!! I know in my head it's for the best, but my heart aches. I don't know if we'll completely deconstruct the pond, just one step at a time. I really enjoy water gardening and find the sound of running water relaxing, so may a small water lily pond......just not sure yet.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Would post a happy face and a sad face, but can't. Happy you found someone to care for them. Sad you need to do this.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Such a shame that you have to rehome your koi. At least it sounds like they're going to a good home where they'll get good care. I hope you'll be able to keep your pond running, if nothing else, just for the sound of running water and the chance to grow some water plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The man is very nice and is going to place them in his pond ( which he sent me videos of ) with his 30 + year old koi. He rings their dinner bell and they come swarming.

Big koi, IMO require commitment and care and he checks those boxes for me.

I'm leaning towards running the pond through winter as a wild life pond and decide next Spring what to do. I love my water plants, however the pond was designed for koi, so straight drop sides....but I've managed to get in with waders for years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
The man is very nice and is going to place them in his pond ( which he sent me videos of ) with his 30 + year old koi. He rings their dinner bell and they come swarming.

Big koi, IMO require commitment and care and he checks those boxes for me.

I'm leaning towards running the pond through winter as a wild life pond and decide next Spring what to do. I love my water plants, however the pond was designed for koi, so straight drop sides....but I've managed to get in with waders for years.
You've done a great job to find the best home for your koi. I love the idea of a dinner bell . ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I DONT Understand why get rid of the koi if your may keep a water garden . get an automatic feeder if the routine is the issue. i know you have been bouncing between the bog and its removal it sounds like the grand kids are just adding some stress to work through

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm glad you were able to find a good home for your koi. Maybe you can get a couple of same-sex goldfish so that they don't breed so you can still have the enjoyment of some fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I DONT Understand why get rid of the koi if your may keep a water garden . get an automatic feeder if the routine is the issue. i know you have been bouncing between the bog and its removal it sounds like the grand kids are just adding some stress to work through
I'm having a hard time thinking of giving them up, but it isn't easy to find good homes. Finding them a good home is the first step , keeping a water garden doesn't carry any of the responsibility caring for the koi does.

Hubby thinks I'm not ready as I've been so upset. I feel silly.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It was tough when we closed down ome of our koi ponds. Like you, we were lucky to find a good home for the fish. Turned a 5' deep koi pond to a 3' deep lily pond. Watch out for snails in a plant only pond!

Ask a Question