Want to make a Pond in my Garden and need advice

Reaction score
Basically I want a pond in my garden because my goldfish (one gold, one sarasa comet and one shubunkin) are getting to big for my tank and I'd also like to get Koi.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a pond because I am soon getting a new car. I already have the location I would like to put it but am struggling to find a solution that is not expensive and is both practical and suitable for a pond. I have 3 walls that are joined like a lower case 'n', my garage wall and two garden walls. Basically I would like to seal that area and create a pond but don't know what with e.g. 'n'. The width of this area is about 3 metres and the length 3-4 metres. The walls are at a UK average for garden walls but not sure about what depth to have yet. I know about waterproofing it and setting it up. I'm looking to have a submersible pump/ filter and/ or a water feature to circulate and clean the water but I'd also like your input on that also if you could.

My mind is set on having it there and really need some sound advice. I don't want a stone/ brick wall to complete the square/ rectangle due to the price of a wall. Has anyone got some advice on my situation, even if you think your idea sounds ridiculous I would still like your input.

If you need any additional information you require just ask,

Thank you for reading and look forward to hearing from you all.

Reaction score
A picture of the area would help.

What method of waterproofing have you decided on?

If you're looking to dig down be aware you could compromise the garage foundation.

I'm not sure of your plan, like you have 3 walls, don't want a 4th because of expense. Does that mean you're going to place a tank in there or dig down?

Reaction score
I will try get one in the daylight tomorrow but at the moment I have got a shed there so it won't be 100%
I'm trying to achieve a raised pond a lot like l the one in this video

And rubberised pond paint, something along those lines because it seems like a sensible method to me but do you still have to put anything else over the top to waterproof it fully like a liner?

Reaction score
I see now. You will be adding a 4th wall but masonry would be too expensive.

Paint on coatings are cheaper compared directly to liner. However the paint coatings require a more stable underlying structure. For example, the gentleman's pond in the video (which I've watched several times before, small world) would leak if there was any settling of the wall. A liner could handle cracks without a problem. The paint coatings also require a very smooth render coat which a liner would not require.

On the material for building the 4th wall...here in the US masonry would be probably be cheaper than wood, but about even. If masonry is too expensive in your area isn't wood the only choice? Steel would certainly be more expensive.

Again, the paint coatings don't allow for structure to move a lot. Wood can move a lot. Plywood is more stable but prone to rot unless a marine grade is used which is expensive.

As is always the case in these things there is no right or wrong answer, only risk. I think using a rubber type coating in this case would be very high risk of not holding water. Time is also a factor in risk. It could hold water for a day, a week but the longer the timeline the more likely the failure. So if this were a very temporary pond it might be worth the risk. The thicker of the coating you build up the lower the risk. You could build up a coating so thick that it would stay water tight even thru settling and warped wood. But getting that thickness would probably be more expensive than a liner.

And rubberised pond paint, something along those lines because it seems like a sensible method to me but do you still have to put anything else over the top to waterproof it fully like a liner?
Nothing goes over the coating. You do have to apply several coats.

Ask a Question