Was it the ducks in the Ballroom with the wrench?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I recently had my pond filter system complely redone as well as some waterfall work. Now I have a pressurized filter instead of a filter in the bottom of the pond and today I came home to this:

2013-02-28_19-54-38_179_zps180c4cba.jpg

2013-02-28_19-54-32_299_zps54e88c7d.jpg

I have never EVER seen the water this discolored. I have a video camera on it and about 8:20 in the morning 3 ducks landed in the upper pond and swam around for about 20 minutes. It looked like the pond began to get dirty but I only got to noon tonight on the tape before going to bed.

Now since I have recently had work done the pond was completely clean. The only thing in them with any dirt was some seaweed covered lilypads seen here in the upper pond after I drained it tonight:

2013-02-28_20-28-25_729_zps5e0f2a06.jpg

2013-02-28_20-28-31_314_zps70e7c543.jpg

Now I have a very stong pump rated at over 2000 gallons an hour and the fountain goes about a foot in the air from a stright 1/2inch pipe.

Total gallons between the two is just under 1000 gallons.

Now considering on the tape the ducks were messing around in the top pond in the morning and I took these pics 12 hours later is it really possible they caused that much dirt to be kicked up that the filter still had not caught up?

I have a pro eco 2000 pressurized filter and uv

http://www.lochnesswatergardens.com/proeco-cpf.html

I replaced half the water tonight and am hoping for the best in the morning but any ideas would be appreciated.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really don't care for pressurerized filters .You may need to use a basket for now to pick up the fine stuff that is coming out .I use quilt batting where the water comes out .Those filters are really not made to pick up all the fine silt .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
I really don't care for pressurerized filters .You may need to use a basket for now to pick up the fine stuff that is coming out .I use quilt batting where the water comes out .Those filters are really not made to pick up all the fine silt .

Any idea as to the source of the contamination? It only took 12 hours to discolor the pond and I still can't find a cause.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could you have had frogs hiding burrowed down in the plant pots and they came out because the water was warmer .I know the other day i pulled a lily from my pond to repot it and as i pulled it out 3 frogs were hidden in the crushed oyster shells and kitty litter .They were small guys but sure were not happy with me .I woke them up .It will probably clear up in a day or 2 as the water settles itself out .Could be a lot of air in the water or something in the water that caused a reaction .

Reaction score
Having raised ducks before, the only thing I can tell you for sure is ducks and backyard ponds don't mix to well. Not if your hoping to keep you pond clean looking anyway.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only thing I can think is ducks or you had a rain storm that allowed dirt to flow into your pond. The quilt batting really works great at getting fine gunk out of your water. Just stick a bunch in a plastic pot or laundry basket and let the water flow from your falls or a tube of water into it and clean it when full of the muck and then keep doing till your water is clear. Ducks I think better go bye bye :wave:

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could have been a reaction in the water and it settled down and sunk to the bottom .I know if there is calcium in your water you will get a white yellow color .I have iron in my water and it looks red .

Reaction score
Could you have had a whole bunch of pollen come in on the wind? Or a quick rain storm bring a bunch of pollen in? With your elevated pond sides, hard to imagine something washing in, and hardly enough soil in the pots you showed to do all of that. Really odd ....

It's a mystery, we need scooby doo and friends. But I will second the quilt batting and charcoal will clear water really quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
gardengimp said:
Could you have had a whole bunch of pollen come in on the wind? Or a quick rain storm bring a bunch of pollen in? With your elevated pond sides, hard to imagine something washing in, and hardly enough soil in the pots you showed to do all of that. Really odd ....

It's a mystery, we need scooby doo and friends. But I will second the quilt batting and charcoal will clear water really quickly.
Should I think about setting up a bio filter to supplement my existing pressurized filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
could have been a reaction in the water and it settled down and sunk to the bottom .I know if there is calcium in your water you will get a white yellow color .I have iron in my water and it looks red .

No rainstorm. I keep coming back to the ducks in the upper pond stirring up the lilipads. They are covered in alge from the pond before but even them being disturbed I'm at a loss to explain the sudden change in color. Its never happened before. I'm thinking about cleaning out all the plants and buying new. Of course I only have 3 plants.

Perhaps Scooby Doo should be brought in.

Reaction score
If it were my pond I would. Bio filter gives you a lot of flexibility. You can run it normally, but add quilt batting and/or charcoal for temp problems. If you use a flower pot up flow filter or shower filter, or use a strawberry pot trickle tower it could fit it nicely with your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
gardengimp said:
If it were my pond I would. Bio filter gives you a lot of flexibility. You can run it normally, but add quilt batting and/or charcoal for temp problems. If you use a flower pot up flow filter or shower filter, or use a strawberry pot trickle tower it could fit it nicely with your pond.

Do you put it before or after the main filter? What I mean is does the bio filter get to tackle the dirty water first or after its passed through the main filter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
very slow going. day 3

2013-03-02_14-27-14_162_zpscde691d9.jpg

im really thinking about throwing out all of my plants or repotting them

Ask a Question