Was it the ducks in the Ballroom with the wrench?

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by texmaster, Mar 1, 2013.

1. texmaster

texmaster

I recently had my pond filter system complely redone as well as some waterfall work. Now I have a pressurized filter instead of a filter in the bottom of the pond and today I came home to this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never EVER seen the water this discolored. I have a video camera on it and about 8:20 in the morning 3 ducks landed in the upper pond and swam around for about 20 minutes. It looked like the pond began to get dirty but I only got to noon tonight on the tape before going to bed.

Now since I have recently had work done the pond was completely clean. The only thing in them with any dirt was some seaweed covered lilypads seen here in the upper pond after I drained it tonight:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have a very stong pump rated at over 2000 gallons an hour and the fountain goes about a foot in the air from a stright 1/2inch pipe.

Total gallons between the two is just under 1000 gallons.

Now considering on the tape the ducks were messing around in the top pond in the morning and I took these pics 12 hours later is it really possible they caused that much dirt to be kicked up that the filter still had not caught up?

I have a pro eco 2000 pressurized filter and uv

http://www.lochnesswatergardens.com/proeco-cpf.html

I replaced half the water tonight and am hoping for the best in the morning but any ideas would be appreciated.

texmaster, Mar 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. texmaster

texmaster

Nobody has an idea?

texmaster, Mar 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. texmaster

sissy sissy

I really don't care for pressurerized filters .You may need to use a basket for now to pick up the fine stuff that is coming out .I use quilt batting where the water comes out .Those filters are really not made to pick up all the fine silt .

sissy, Mar 1, 2013
  4. texmaster

texmaster

Any idea as to the source of the contamination? It only took 12 hours to discolor the pond and I still can't find a cause.

texmaster, Mar 1, 2013
  5. texmaster

sissy sissy

could you have had frogs hiding burrowed down in the plant pots and they came out because the water was warmer .I know the other day i pulled a lily from my pond to repot it and as i pulled it out 3 frogs were hidden in the crushed oyster shells and kitty litter .They were small guys but sure were not happy with me .I woke them up .It will probably clear up in a day or 2 as the water settles itself out .Could be a lot of air in the water or something in the water that caused a reaction .

sissy, Mar 1, 2013
  6. texmaster

Mucky_Waters

Having raised ducks before, the only thing I can tell you for sure is ducks and backyard ponds don't mix to well. Not if your hoping to keep you pond clean looking anyway.

Mucky_Waters, Mar 1, 2013
  7. texmaster

j.w I Love my Goldies

Only thing I can think is ducks or you had a rain storm that allowed dirt to flow into your pond. The quilt batting really works great at getting fine gunk out of your water. Just stick a bunch in a plastic pot or laundry basket and let the water flow from your falls or a tube of water into it and clean it when full of the muck and then keep doing till your water is clear. Ducks I think better go bye bye :wave:

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG

j.w, Mar 1, 2013
  8. texmaster

texmaster

Still dirty but not yellow anymore

[​IMG]

texmaster, Mar 2, 2013
  9. texmaster

sissy sissy

could have been a reaction in the water and it settled down and sunk to the bottom .I know if there is calcium in your water you will get a white yellow color .I have iron in my water and it looks red .

sissy, Mar 2, 2013
  10. texmaster

gardengimp

Could you have had a whole bunch of pollen come in on the wind? Or a quick rain storm bring a bunch of pollen in? With your elevated pond sides, hard to imagine something washing in, and hardly enough soil in the pots you showed to do all of that. Really odd ....

It's a mystery, we need scooby doo and friends. But I will second the quilt batting and charcoal will clear water really quickly.

gardengimp, Mar 2, 2013
  11. texmaster

texmaster

Should I think about setting up a bio filter to supplement my existing pressurized filter?

texmaster, Mar 2, 2013
  12. texmaster

texmaster

No rainstorm. I keep coming back to the ducks in the upper pond stirring up the lilipads. They are covered in alge from the pond before but even them being disturbed I'm at a loss to explain the sudden change in color. Its never happened before. I'm thinking about cleaning out all the plants and buying new. Of course I only have 3 plants.

Perhaps Scooby Doo should be brought in.

texmaster, Mar 2, 2013
  13. texmaster

gardengimp

If it were my pond I would. Bio filter gives you a lot of flexibility. You can run it normally, but add quilt batting and/or charcoal for temp problems. If you use a flower pot up flow filter or shower filter, or use a strawberry pot trickle tower it could fit it nicely with your pond.

gardengimp, Mar 2, 2013
  14. texmaster

texmaster

Do you put it before or after the main filter? What I mean is does the bio filter get to tackle the dirty water first or after its passed through the main filter?

texmaster, Mar 2, 2013
  15. texmaster

texmaster

very slow going. day 3

[​IMG]

im really thinking about throwing out all of my plants or repotting them

texmaster, Mar 2, 2013
  16. texmaster

sissy sissy

when I first put my water in it took over a week for it to clear up some and then by week 3 it was really clear .Nothing ever gets clear as fast as it gets dirty .

sissy, Mar 2, 2013
  17. texmaster

texmaster

.LOL words to live by.

[​IMG]

I think tomorrow though I'm going to remove all the plants and repot anget the seaweed off of them to avoid this in the future

texmaster, Mar 3, 2013
    capewind and j.w like this.
  18. texmaster

texmaster

All those years of playing Clue as a child has paid off! I accuse the Ducks in the upper pond with the webbed feet!

And here is the proof! I took this from my security cameras. I've patched 2 clips together to show you the progression but clearly the ducks are the culprit. All you have to do is watch the pond water change in the upper pond.

[​IMG]

texmaster, Mar 3, 2013
    capewind likes this.
  19. texmaster

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep you could see it start out clear and then w/ them rummaging around in there it clouded right up! They sure do love it in there tho and look so cute.................it would be a shame to kick them out but what can you do? Are they getting their beaks down in your plant pots? If so maybe you could put a bunch of heavy rocks on top of the soil so they can't get down into it. Or is it just the muck on the bottom they are kicking up or is it the poop? Could they poop that much in just a couple minutes tho to make the water that cloudy. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

j.w, Mar 3, 2013
  20. texmaster

gardengimp

Dang, those were some dirty ducks. Bet they were hoping you had soap and towels laid out for them. Next time you should charge a room rate :LOL:

gardengimp, Mar 3, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question