Was this a bad idea?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I LOVE Koi ponds and have wanted one for many years. The price of a new pond has kept it a dream for some time. Recently I met a lady with a Koi pond she wanted to get rid of so I bought it from her. I am working on making it pretty still but it is full of water and the filter is going. I bought an API test kit that tests Ph, high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Now my excitement has turned into overwhelming fear. I had no idea I was going to have to be a chemist nor a mathematician to own a koi pond! I am supposed to bring home the 4 koi fish this week that she currently has housed in a stock tank and I don't want to kill the poor things. Now I'm reading I need to test the Gh, and Kh also. We don't even have a pond supply store near here where I can get a test kit. These koi will be here before I can get one online. Sigh...Can anyone PLEASE break this down in English terms for me. My internet research has me even more confused and overwhelmed. All I seem to find is people arguing about inaccurate test kits, and whether to use salt or not. Where can I find reliable information? The lady I got the pond from has had these fish several years with minimal care. Her pond looked horrible when I saw it. I can't believe anything was even living in it. I couldn't see the fish at all. She has given me advice but I'm not sure how accurate it is. So I've had well water in the pond a week now. I've added beneficial bacteria. She claims a week is good and these fish can be transported to their new home. Is this enough time? My ph is around 8.5 right now so I need advice on what to use to bring that down also. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the rambling. I'm nearly hyperventilating as math and chemistry scare the heck out of me! lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome!
That lady you got the pond from ran it for years, and the fish lived so I take it it is large enough for those 4 koi (?)
If all the equipment is still in good condition, I'd say just give it time to cycle, resist from feeding during this period 2-4weeks, protect it from predators (Blue Heron, Raccoons....) then you should be able to relax and enjoy it!

I've had my pond for 15yrs, the only time I had problems was when I was testing the water continually, trying to "fix" what I was told was off! Now I do one major Spring cleaning, periodical partial water changes and pre filter pad rinsing ...my fish are healthy so I don't even test the water until the following Spring

I hope you can relax and enjoy your pond! :)

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Adding large fish to a pond that has not "cycled" yet will place some stress on the fish, but the filter and the fish will likely survive.
Do ammonia tests now and keep testing every few days. Ad your beneficial bacteria and make sure there is plenty of aeration. Prepare to do some water changes if you see the ammonia climbing.
What kind of filtration? How large are the fish and the pond?
My pond is also about 8.3 currently.
Yours will dip as your fish start to produce waste.
Once your pond is stabilized, it gets much easier.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Bring home her filter media and as much of her pond water as you can .It is healthier for the fish .The test kits are easy and most pet stores will test your water also for a small fee .My ph is always around the same also .Get crushed oyster shells to stabilize ph .You can even buy it at walmart now .Put it in a fine mesh bag
101_0941.JPG

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mine is up there too! I learned it's best to just live it alone, you can do more damage trying to adjust it!
Sphagnum moss lowers PH
So does driftwood.
*these don't cause any trouble at all btw other than tannins, which will go away*

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Depends on what kind of wood and also need to check wood for anything bad living in it .Never tried the moss but really never had a problem with ph .The crushed oyster shells do the job .

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depends on what kind of wood and also need to check wood for anything bad living in it .Never tried the moss but really never had a problem with ph .The crushed oyster shells do the job .
Driftwood is a specific "type of wood" (idk how to word that)
Not just cutting down a tree and cutting wood.
This is driftwood: (not a good selection but you get it, multiple sites sell it) https://aquaforestaquarium.com/collections/layout-material/driftwoods
Put it in your filter or pond, your problems will be solved....

@sissy also to prepare wood you boil it, this kills everything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know near my brothers house in Norfolk Virginia .I can gather it off the beach ,did not know you can by it .I have never put it in my pond ,I just use it for landscaping .

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I know near my brothers house in Norfolk Virginia .I can gather it off the beach ,did not know you can by it .I have never put it in my pond ,I just use it for landscaping .
I work in Norfolk. There is a thrift/antique/craft store on the Eastern Shore that has cords upon cords of driftwood for sale. The good stuff has been cleansed in the oceans or lakes for years and dried long enough as well.

I tested my pH Saturday, it was 9. Tested at dusk and it was 7.5. I fought the pH for a year but gave up because it was too difficult as it comes out of the tap at 9.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Driftwood, in the aquascaping hobby, isn't "driftwood" form a lake. Hence why it is so expensive.

It is cut delicately from different types of trees. Soaked, and Sometimes prepared for you.

Example of this can be manzanita wood.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@AngelaM Hello and welcome! It's always overwhelming at first! Since the fish will be here before you can get a test kit........ Once the fish get there, go ahead and add them to the pond. [You are using well water, is that correct? If you add any city water, please add some dechlorinator.]. The filter is going. There probably won't be enough of the good bacteria built up yet to do their job, but that's OK for now. Until you can get a test kit, and until your pond has a chance to "cycle," do water changes every day -- maybe 10% at a time [experts, is that enough?]. Remove some of the water and replace it with fresh. This will help keep down the levels of the bad chemicals.

If you can't find a test kit locally, you can order from any pet center or from AMAZON.

Your pH of 8.5 is OK. Don't worry about "bringing it down." You want it to be STABLE more so than you want to shoot for a number. @sissy had an excellent suggestion regarding the crushed oyster shells. They will slowly break down and will "buffer" pH to keep it stable.

BTW, what size is this pond? Is it a preformed plastic pond? And how big are the fish? These will be factors to consider, but for now, let's just get you started.

Ask a Question