Was this a bad idea?!

Discussion in 'Newbies to Garden Ponds' started by AngelaM, Aug 28, 2017.

1. AngelaM

Gemma

@AngelaM when You get all situated, I would love pics of your koi :)

Gemma, Aug 28, 2017
    Mmathis and AngelaM like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. AngelaM

AngelaM

They did powerwash the liner before we picked it up. It stills has some green algae on it though. We did keep the filter material wet at all times and the bags are new. She had just bought them a few weeks before we got the pond.

AngelaM, Aug 28, 2017
    IPA likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. AngelaM

AngelaM

The pond starts out shallow and goes to 4 1/2 feet on one end. We are transporting the fish about 4 miles. They live really close to us.

AngelaM, Aug 28, 2017
    sissy likes this.
  4. AngelaM

AngelaM

For sure Gemma! I'm excited to get all the rocks in place.

AngelaM, Aug 28, 2017
  5. AngelaM

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    @AngelaM Welcome to the forum and seems like disaster averted but I wouldn't go so far as to say you are completely out of the woods. As @sissy said get as much water and whatever else like filter media as you can. If you can follow @Meyer Jordan 's advice to add one a week that's great, if you can't then please say so.

IPA, Aug 28, 2017
    AngelaM and Meyer Jordan like this.
  6. AngelaM

sissy sissy

do you have an aerator koi need lots of oxygen in the water and it helps them with health problems .I always keep 12 airstones going 1 foot 2 foot and 3 foot down in the pond and 1 in each filter .I like a 1 level in my pond ,it is easier to net and easier to deter predators

sissy, Aug 28, 2017
  7. AngelaM

AngelaM

I wasn't really sure how I wanted the pond when we started digging. After my two chocolate labs started eyeing up the hole, I decided to have a shallow end so they can easily get out if they decide to go for a swim. I am going to add a little bridge across the center eventually. I do not have an aerator, just the filter and waterfall at this point. The lady who owner the pond didn't have one either. Is this something I need to buy?

AngelaM, Aug 29, 2017
  8. AngelaM

AngelaM

I'm not sure if I can do that. She's pretty anxious for me to get the fish out of the stock tank. They are leaving for vacation this weekend and wants me to get them before they leave.

AngelaM, Aug 29, 2017
  9. AngelaM

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

An aerator is something you may consider adding at a future date. Do you need one at the moment? Probably not, since these fish have apparently done quite well for several years without one, they should be OK for a while longer. Koi are comfortable at quite low Oxygen levels, Goldfish even lower.

If this is the case, I strongly recommend that you purchase at least a couple of bottles of 'Prime'.
    upload_2017-8-28_19-34-1.jpeg

This will neutralize any excess Ammonia in the water thus protecting the fish, until the Nitrogen cycle is fully established. This should be used according to the manufacturer's directions.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 29, 2017
    IPA and AngelaM like this.
  10. AngelaM

AngelaM

I guess the most frustrating part of all this is that we don't have a local pond store anywhere near here. I'm going to order this online but before I do, is there anything else you recommend I have on hand for emergencies? I'd hate to have something happen and have to wait a week to get it through the mail.

AngelaM, Aug 29, 2017
  11. AngelaM

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

You apparently have a pH test kit. If don't have the means for testing the other parameters then I would recommend you ordering The API Master Test Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

Later on you can order the Dissolved Oxygen, GH, KH test kits and the Phosphorus test kit.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 29, 2017
    AngelaM likes this.
  12. AngelaM

AngelaM

Awesome! The API Master test kit is exactly what I already have so at least I got that right!

AngelaM, Aug 29, 2017
  13. AngelaM

IPA

63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
    IPA, Aug 29, 2017
    AngelaM likes this.
  14. AngelaM

mgmine

As you said the fish were doing fine in what some would consider deadly conditions. Carp (koi) can live in some pretty bad conditions so I wouldn't be too concerned about putting them in well water. As far as testing the water there isn't much you can do about changing anything so don't worry about it. Throw the tester away and don't look back.

mgmine, Aug 29, 2017
  15. AngelaM

sissy sissy

But in a new pond and all the stress of moving the fish I would have an aerator .It is better to be safe than sorry .I hate to tell you this but had to replace my liner 2 times because of dog toenails .

sissy, Aug 29, 2017
  16. AngelaM

Nyboy

Nyboy, Aug 29, 2017
  17. AngelaM

sissy sissy

I have chihuahuas but these dogs were my neighbors and the second dog was one of those helper dogs for a handicapped boy that was missing for 2 weeks until he fell in my pond

sissy, Aug 29, 2017
  18. AngelaM

Usman

as sisy pointed , get her filter media and dont clean any thing in filter , i think 4 large koi fishes in stock pond are in more danger then they would be in ur pond . if u can add 1 fish at a time wait for few days and keep checking water , see how it goes . do make sure to learn how to transport fishes safely with all the necessities and when u add fish in new pond , let it float for 30 mins on pond then release it , mix some water in the bag .
    once pond is old and running , u dont need to do much . her old pond might look ugly but it may have been healthy for fish we never know , algae or unclear water isnt that bad for fish .

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Usman, Aug 29, 2017
    Angel likes this.
  19. AngelaM

Angel

keep the filter media wet or soaked in the original pond water. you may be able to get food grade left over buckets from your local grocery store ie used for cole slaw or pickles. typically 5 gallons. just give a good good rinse prior to use or simple soap and water and a few good rinses.

Angel, Aug 29, 2017
  20. AngelaM

AngelaM

I got my new kids today! So far so good!!

Attached Files:

AngelaM, Sep 5, 2017
    Greenbrier Lulu, j.w, Jetta and 3 others like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question