washing your fish?

Reaction score
so I've been reading around the site and I keep seeing mention of washing your koi. Is this something that you need to do often or just when introducing them to the pond and when they are sick?

Reaction score
ah a salt "BATH" i see the connection now...i mean i may rub my fish if they jump out and have debris on them but no soap and water for me

Reaction score
YES!
oh man i'm such a n00b, i was thinking salt bath like you rub them with salt, which made no scence to me at all.

so if they hop out rinse them off with pond water and let them back in?

Reaction score
Unless you plan on eating your fish, there is no reason to rub salt into them. HA HA

If they jump out, and they are still alive, just put them back in and watch them carefully. You may have to help them by holding them for awhile until they regroup, but you do not have to rinse them off. (Look at other threads for more info on rescuing jumpers).

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A salt bath is for when they are sick and it usually is for no more than 10 minutes, depending on the concentration of salt.

Ask a Question