Wasp holes

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I've noticed these holes all over my backyard and especially by the pond and was wondering if there is any way to safely exterminate them without bothering the fish?

Normally I'm all for live and let live but these wasps are very aggressive and I worry my son will get stung since he insists on trying to go barefoot in the yard.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Could be Yellowjackets. Get the foaming type of wasp spray and seal off the entrance with it. Repeat several times. And don't hang around between applications! Most people I've heard from are highly allergic to their venom; had one sting last year, and my hand looked like a baseball for a week! BTW, skunks love them and usually clean them up overnight.
John

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
After dark ,dark -thirty after they are well in for the nite .pour a soup can full of gas in the hole in the morn .no more yellow jackets ,fumes get em ,if not the liquid ,care needs to be taken using gas this way ,as always IT really works ,fast and easy ,you are incharge of all decision making ,done it this way every yr. somewhere on the property for last ten yrs .no problems ,all ways ,always wait till well after dark and the whole group is home and in bed by then. During the day you are flirting with missing many and p----- o-- to take revenge on the intruder .IT" simple It's easy it's cheap .it works really well ,with a good flash lite after dark ,find the hole pour the gas and leave .all done!

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I've heard of the gas working but I'm paranoid about it getting back into my pond somehow, It would take a good rain to do it but it could happen

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
I've heard of the gas working but I'm paranoid about it getting back into my pond somehow, It would take a good rain to do it but it could happen
I'm talking about a cambells soup can ,not enough after evaporation over nite to cause a bio spill or a problem .It was Just a suggestiion,Who knows I might be right ,I would not hesitate if that were my pond.That said It's your decision,good luck !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i haye a very active wasp nest in the rocks right at the edge of the pond. My honey says he will crawln done the rock slope to spray them early am, no way to do gas, it would flow right into the pond. Last sting I had swollen and red for over 2 months. dislike those suckers,

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been chased with them stiniging all of the way. My yorkie had one sting then chase her last year, she even hears a buzz she turns and runs now, a year later.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We don't seem to have very many of those wasps this year. Must be all the cold, wet weather we had this Spring. Don't like them around but they do help pollinate things tho.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep they do but the nest keeps me from 1/3 of the pond, don't dare go near it So they need to go. Last year they nested in our veg garden, got my arms, chest, neck before I even knew they where there.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They sure can't stay where we need to hang out. We have the kind that make their nests under the eaves of our house so I try and knock them down when they start building them. Never see any of the ground type around this property but did at our last home. Got the poor kid next door really bad and we sprayed them out w/ some kind of wasp killer.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those paper wasp I leave alone,a solitary wasp makes the round paper nest and fills it with grubs. They don't bother you unless you go to grab it lol And they gather a ton of grubs, we have one on a box I am watching work on its nest, really interesting

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I don't like any of them lol. I think now that we have no chance of rain in the near future...again, I'm going to spray or use gas in the holes and hopefully runoff won't be an issue.

Ask a Question