wasps and ponds

rdk

Reaction score
Today I noticed many wasps flying around my pond. My brother says that last Spring he noticed wasps laying eggs in the pond. Could he be right? RDK

Reaction score
I always have lots of wasps and dragonflies drinking from my pond. They won't harm anything and won't mess with you as long as you leave them alone.

Reaction score
I also have wasps living in a hole next to my pond. I had a bio filter dug in 1/2 way into the ground,with all the rain we have had I'm constantly having to empty the hole which leaves a couple of inches of water in the hole .They dug in about6 inches from the top of the hole. They're flyin in & out allo day long!!! As soon as it drys up enough,I'm going to go out back & get some dirt to fill it in.I think i'll use some RAID after dusk some night when I think about it!
Do you know where yours are coming in & out?

rdk

Reaction score
Farmgirl I have no clue where they are coming from. I looked hard around and can not find anything. Now it got cooler and most are gone. RDK

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a nest in a wood wall, near our apples trees, after being stung for the third time (one on a body part that stayed bruised for 2 months) I gave up being nice and did the raid thing to the hole. That was the last of that nest. I then plugged the hole.

I was trying to live and let live, but they hurt, and they don't care if you are leaving them alone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pondmaster said:
Farmgirl be cautious of overspray and contamination close to your pond fish.

So true. We have carpenter bees in the garage and wasp in the fence. Hubby called exterminator and when he walked out the back door and seen the pond, he said "Nope, can't do it". He said they use a powder for the bees and if they have it on them and fly over the pond and some falls off into the pond, it will kill the fish. Hubby has been stung several times while weed whacking behind the pond by the wasps. They don't bother me, but I don't chase them around with a 2x4 either. ;)

Ask a Question