Water bridge (suspended canal)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hi folks! Been way too long. I had a dream and after much thought, I’ve decided to pursue. Most of you know my “pond“ is above ground. 360 gallons. I’ve thought about scrapping it and going larger but the economics and real estate just isn’t there. However, another smaller pond is totally doable. The current proposed site would be 20? feet away from the current pond. My wife and I will be redoing the coneflower garden into a raised somewhat more architectural feature and replanting with even more cones. The new pond site would be there And here’s where it gets kooky. I’d love to join the two small ponds together with an elevated water bridge so my babies can cruise back and forth between the two. Working on drawings for you. But off the top of your heads, I’d love some insight or ideas. Thanks fellow pond dwellers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
by the time you make a shallow bridge and a new pond you could simply add on to what you now have. Also anything shallow and narrow is PRIME sitting duck for herons, king fishers, egrets, and raccoons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
by the time you make a shallow bridge and a new pond you could simply add on to what you now have. Also anything shallow and narrow is PRIME sitting duck for herons, king fishers, egrets, and raccoons.
Pictures and drawings will help illustrate better. Working on that. Critters not an issue. I’m in a little town surrounded by habitat so beyond the occasional wolf or deer, ravens are my biggest visitor and the bulldogs take care of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
751541BD-96B0-4553-AB82-2FB65CCF9438.jpegE257F8D7-54B6-4A6D-BD7A-E09EE835D29D.jpeg
The idea is tier the new garden using same finish materials as the existing pond. One main tier about 18” above grade with three taller tiers inside it. Two of which would be planting beds and the other the pond. Trimming everything out will be the fun part but I’m occupied now with the system itself. I picture two cubes of water sitting on the same plane. If you cut a “hole” in the side of each at the same height and run trough between them (level), they would balance out and with enough water would leave enough water for navigation through the trough. But now we throw a pump in the works. We’ll call the new pond #2. Pond #1’s return is through the mini bogs which is easy to plumb. If the pump is placed in pond#2 and run to the bogs, I would think that I could run into flow problems. Would an auto fill system take care of this? Perhaps I’m missing something.
edit: Regarding size of trough, these are larger comets/sarasa. Biggest around 8”.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm terrible with construction details but it sure SOUNDS cool! And if worse comes to worse, you just end up with two separate ponds, right?

Ask a Question