Water bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friends,
Need a bit of advice or direction.
Situation is pond is 8ft x 3ft x 3ft at deepest with fish who seem content and feed and have just started to chase each other (UK) . No gasping for air etc. Bit of blanket weed but this has been treated. Go a filtration unit that has bactiria added to help clear. Water generally clear but dark to the bottom. Have two airstones running and the waterfall.
Ok my concern is the water is two years old but has been topped up a week ago. Small bubbles are staying on the surface for a while when I have everything running. They do disapear when all is turned off and the fish come up for food at the regular point after that.
Do I need to be concerned(as if Im not already)
Thx
Ernie

Attachments

• WP_20150421_11_26_49_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150421_11_26_49_Pro.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 254

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need to get a pool net if there is stuff like leaves in the bottom of the pond and remove them slowly so that the toxic gasses do not kill the fish .But that looks like air bubbles from the aerator to me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Looks like air bubble to me too. If the fish are chasing each other, spawning will follow....then you'll have different looking foamy bubbles on the pond. I always do a big water change after a spawning.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to laugh , rain did that for me this year .I think I hated this rain but also loved it ,lots of free fresh water .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thx guys u have refreshed me and taken awqay a bit of worry
Thanks again
What a great bunch of guys u are.......................
:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That could be a sign of protein building up in the water, but without knowing the maintenance history of your pond, it's hard to say.
Protein can build up in the water if you have a lot of decaying organic matter.
Make sure you keep up regular maintenance on your pond and a water change now might be a good idea. Make sure that you have good water flow so that the filter can do it's job.
I'm not sure what you mean that the water is 2 years old.
Have you ever done a water change?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi When I say the water is 2 years old I mean thats the last time I refilled/changed it. There is a filtration box with good water flow thru and I have put in an extra foam filter and a pot of bacteria which worked well last year so did the same this year. I have two lillies and a small read bed one end the pump never gets blocked which I have on for half of the day. I have two airation stones again on for half of the day. The pond is situated in semi shade.. Once turned off the pond goes like the picture. The fish are not gasping and they are just starting to nudge each other for breeding. Its just the fact that when all is working the small bubbles stay there for a while and start to cover the pond as in the previous pic.
THX

Attachments

• WP_20150422_08_04_33_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150422_08_04_33_Pro.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 219

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any pond that contains a population of fish should have the water continuously circulated. This means running the pump 24/7/365. Only then is the water properly filtered. Circulating the pond water at any lower level is asking for problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Bubbles indicate some sort of organic matter in the pond. My koi got really super-active chasing each other around the pond over the weekend (spawning, I guess???--this is my first year with a pond) and the water got really bubbly for a day or two. I made sure I rinsed the skimmer basket a couple times a day and it seemed to help.

Ask a Question