Wanted Water Canna to buy or trade?

Reaction score
Southeastern Wisconsin - Northern/Midwest US
Hardiness Zone
4 or 5
Country
United States
Hi, looking for some water cana and or Iris plants. Turns out I didn't overwinter the ones I planted last season properly (due to my laziness). Please reach out if you looking to discard any extras. Happy to pay and/or trade as I have some very nice waterlily.Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bought pots of Canna lilies from Lowe's. Not sure if those are the type you are looking for though.

Repotted them into plastic mesh planters filled with river rock, no soil. They do very well that way in my pond.

AndyZoner

Fledgling Pond Caretaker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I purchased regular old Cannova canna lilies from Home Depot this year. Planted them in cat litter topped with gravel and they are happy as can be. I made sure to plant them with their rhizome above the water level and in a container with holes in the sides. The feeder roots have grown out the holes in the container and are 8" long.

Attachments

• 04-27-2021_IMG_1609.JPG
    04-27-2021_IMG_1609.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 06_8_2021_Pond 1.JPG
    06_8_2021_Pond 1.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - no need to pay double the cost for special "water cannas" - the plain old garden variety work just fine! Here we can find nice big ones for $10 - not even worth trying to save over winter for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Lowes Master Gardener here in FL says canna can go submerged, too, though mine are happy in pots half in water in the pond.

Ask a Question