Water change for water lily in pot without killing snails and fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a tropical water lily. The lily pot sit on a block in a larger pot with snails and fish and some other plants that I forgot the name of; "something-wart". I have never re-potted or changed the water. I just top off the water twice a week with the hose, fertilize once a month and cut off dead lilies and leaves.

They seem to be doing great and I get 2-3 flowers at a time. I have had them for 2 years and live in Hawaii. I need to re-pot because they are growing out of the pot. I have found lots of good info on the Internet about re-potting so I think I can do that.

My question is: How often do I need to change all the water in the large pot? I mean empty it out and clean the large pot completely. I would assume there is a lot of crap at the bottom. My fish and snails are very small. I doubt I can effectively siphon. How do I do a complete water change without killing my snails and fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you have had it for 2 years and have never changed the water -- and plants and critters are thriving -- I'd leave it alone. You may have a wonderful little ecosystem there, with the animal waste fertilizing the plants. Pretty neat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
After two years there will be considerable rancid old roots and tubers going off, not good.... The water so likely to be toxic it is difficult for new growth to start

Probe the dirt in the pot and sniff it, how bad is it...

Ask a Question