Water change question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Does the answer to the question "should I do a water change on my pond" become more critical if the pond is located in a dry or humid environment, or if the source water is hard or soft?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good question!

I'll give an uneducated guess and say no - I think you either believe in the theory behind water changes or you don't. In some climates (extremely arid for example) you may need to add water more frequently, but that wouldn't change the concept. Same thought with the quality of the source water.

Let's see what others have to say -

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I guess there's 2 issues to consider - mineral accumulation and buildup of the byproducts of decomposition.
Plants and bacteria could possibly handle the decomposition component, but how does one handle the accumulation of minerals in the water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but how does one handle the accumulation of minerals in the water?

I get what you're saying - water evaporates leaving behind the minerals. Add more water which contains more minerals, more evaporation, more minerals left behind in the water. I just don't know if it works that way. Or rather if there aren't more systems at work in the pond that take care of the minerals left behind. Plants absorb them? They stay in the water as it evaporates? Other chemical processes in the pond neutralize them? (Not sure neutralize is the word I'm looking for). Just throwing out guesses here...

I think I'll go google a bit!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, google confirms - as water evaporates, the minerals and salts accumulate. Which I guess common sense already tells me - if I leave a pot of water to boil on the stove and all the water boils away, I'm left with a mineral residue in my pot.

I guess the next question would be at what rate do they accumulate? And are there other processes that take place in the eco-pond that would compensate for that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Right.
We can look at the extreme example of the Dead Sea that has a salinity that is almost 10 times that of major world oceans, and it's salinity continues to rise. It only receives water inflow, no outflow.
There has to be some point that we can identify where we need to intervene in our pond and dilute the concentration of minerals, DOC's, algae food food basically.
So what helps keep our pond water high enough quality to keep our fish healthy?
Submerged plants, emerging plants, marginal plants, substrate, periphyton, water circulation, aeration, the food we add to the pond...there are so many variables.
People living in a humid environment don't have a lot to concern themselves with, but what about those of us that live in a dry climate?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The term "believe in water changes" makes me think of a reference to a religion, which is not based on fact, rather than faith.
I don't think that water changes in a closed system should be considered a religion.;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'd love to respond, but I have to go out and worship my pond...

Just kidding. I said "believe in the theory". And I call it a theory because it's not a fact that can be proven in every case. For example,we met a local ponder who has a 20+ year old pond. He has never performed a water change on his pond. Not one single time. Nor has he ever cleaned his pond. His pond is about 4500 gallons and filled with really large koi. So what is happening there that his fish remain healthy? What is keeping his pond water from becoming The Dead Pond? I would surmise it is the abundance of plants and other aquatic life in his pond that keep the balance where it needs to be. But that's just my own theory, based on anecdotal evidence and personal observation on a very minute scale.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have hard water with iron in it and even with the 2 filters it does not take it out .I am always concerned when I need to add water to my pond which lately has been a lot until I track down this leak .I took a part of the other water fall apart but I am trying to do it slowly since I don't want to muck up the water to bad .This is one instance though that I am glad I do have well water .I think that could change the fact that most people do not want to do water changes ,city water .I know in NJ what ever you used in water you paid for 2 times ,You paid in water use and you paid in sewage use .I caught that after the second year of being in my house and went after the town to get my money back because i had a septic tank .These days with money being tight ,I think most people want rain to take care of that part for them .I know I prefer rain water it is free, not sure it is cleaner .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I tried cleaning my pond last year, but it didn't go so well, so I stopped.
Like I posted in my build thread, I've done almost nothing to my pond, including feeding, and I think it's doing great...
..except for the plant growth, which is poor, but I think that's a matter of the plants I'm choosing so far.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our local municipality FINALLY passed an ordinance that allows homeowners to install a separate meter for outdoor water use. That way we pay for only the water, not the sewer charge on any water we use outside. But our water is still expensive but somewhat more palatable. However, our electricity is high, too, and that didn't stop us from building a pond that runs 24/7 365 days a year! Ponds over dollars I guess!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
except for the plant growth, which is poor, but I think that's a matter of the plants I'm choosing so far.

I'm really rooting for you (haha! get it?) on this plant thing Mitch. Dig up some plants that are growing naturally around water in your area and I think you'll have success!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have hard water with iron in it and even with the 2 filters it does not take it out .I am always concerned when I need to add water to my pond which lately has been a lot until I track down this leak .I took a part of the other water fall apart but I am trying to do it slowly since I don't want to muck up the water to bad .This is one instance though that I am glad I do have well water .I think that could change the fact that most people do not want to do water changes ,city water .I know in NJ what ever you used in water you paid for 2 times ,You paid in water use and you paid in sewage use .I caught that after the second year of being in my house and went after the town to get my money back because i had a septic tank .These days with money being tight ,I think most people want rain to take care of that part for them .I know I prefer rain water it is free, not sure it is cleaner .

With a high iron concentration, sissy, shouldn't you be having an algae problem?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm really rooting for you (haha! get it?) on this plant thing Mitch. Dig up some plants that are growing naturally around water in your area and I think you'll have success!

Lately I've been taking some of the clay dirt from around our yard and placing it on the plant shelves, so I can try to encourage encroachment from the native plants. So far frogs seem to like the plant cover, although it's hard to see the pond edge at times.
That's a good thing, I think.

Ask a Question