water changes during winter months?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Getting ready for my first winter with the goldfish outside in the pond (rather than in the house)

Just been thinking about what I am going to do to make sure my fish have a good chance at survival this winter. I do have a pond de-icer and an airpump. Was wondering how many people here do water changes on their ponds during the winter months? I just can't imagine letting the pond go without a water change for 3-4 months :unsure:

We had a pretty mild winter the last two years. Hope it is that way again this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in Ohio, I've never done a water change in the winter. The fish aren't producing much waste. I would think that would stress them too much. I do a big water change before winter. Than again in the spring.

Reaction score
I did not do any water changes last Winter. I did not want to disturb anything. Didn't have any problems. If you are concerned, I would suggest purchasing the API water drops test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If these levels get too high, I would do a water change but otherwise, no.

Reaction score
Country
United States
About when do you do your last big water change in the fall? Do you pull your filter for the winter?

I'm thinking I will have to wait until all the leaves are down before doing my last water change. I do have a net covering the pond but some leaves still make their way into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
I did not do any water changes last Winter. I did not want to disturb anything. Didn't have any problems. If you are concerned, I would suggest purchasing the API water drops test kit so you can test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. If these levels get too high, I would do a water change but otherwise, no.
Yes, I do have a pond test kit. Didn't even think about testing the water over the winter.... :rolleyes:

I'm just letting this whole winter thing kinda freak me out.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I haven't done the water change yet. I would wait till the leaves are done falling. The bio is already cleaned. I leave the bio and bog run all winter.

Reaction score
No problem. Keep in mind that since you will not be feeding the fish they will not be producing as much solid waste. Also, since their metabolism is nearly shut down, they will be producing a lot less waste breathing too. I believe that is where most of the ammonia comes from.

Reaction score
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
No problem. Keep in mind that since you will not be feeding the fish they will not be producing as much solid waste. Also, since their metabolism is nearly shut down, they will be producing a lot less waste breathing too. I believe that is where most of the ammonia comes from.
Yes, I also understand that you are not to feed the fish once the water temperature gets to below 50 degrees? At least that's what the floating thermometer feeding light thing I bought says lol

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
dieselplower said:
With all due respect to your good advice, fish "breathing" or respiration - the directing of water through the mouth, into the brachial cavity and passed the gills for dissolved oxygen absorption - produces no tangible waste. All ammonia-producing waste excreted by fish is expelled through their vent (anus). Fish don't "breathe" in the conventional sense; even if they did, even if they had halitosis, any significant waste produced by respiration would be negligible. No offense, Dieselplower, I DO find all your other points very useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
bettasngoldfish said:
Remember this is still new to me....Can you explain this in more detail so I can understand you better?

thanks
I leave my filters run all year long, even in the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm in Cincinnati, so also in Ohio. I've topped off my pond on sunny, warmer winter days.....when I can see evidence of evaporation, but no major water changes. Kim

Reaction score
Troutredds said:
With all due respect to your good advice, fish "breathing" or respiration - the directing of water through the mouth, into the brachial cavity and passed the gills for dissolved oxygen absorption - produces no tangible waste. All ammonia-producing waste excreted by fish is expelled through their vent (anus). Fish don't "breathe" in the conventional sense; even if they did, even if they had halitosis, any significant waste produced by respiration would be negligible. No offense, Dieselplower, I DO find all your other points very useful.
No offense taken. I do not consider myself any sort of pond of fish expert so I may be wrong. However, I bet I could do a Google search right now and find at least 10 reputable sources to confirm fish do "exhale" ammonia. I am on my cell phone right now so it will have to wait.

Ask a Question