Water Changes in the Aquarium...

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have a 180 gallon tank with four oscars. I do weekly water changes and it makes a hugh difference on the fish growth. Before I built my wet/dry filter I was doing daily water changes of 75% and my fish put on a couple inches in a short time.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
What did you think of the text? Thinking of leveraging it for a FAQ on pond water changing. Maybe some help from someone who has problems with soft water.

When I raised fry I would buy a pair of baby Oscars. Chocolate's were my favorite. They disposed of all my culls. Worked well as the Oscars grew with the goldfish. The Oscars loved it. They were smart enough to know that each would get theirs. Instead of fighting for the first they just waited. Smart fish.

I figure this is about the most natural way of disposing of the culls. By the time the goldfish get to about 3/4 inch the Oscars go back to the pet shop.

In general I am burned out regarding water changing in aquariums. I had a continual drip system setup in my last fishroom and think I will go back to that if I ever get another one setup. The problem here is the water is so hard it gunks everything up. Don't want to go RO if I can help it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
The article is okay, but leaves a lot for interpretation if you are not familiar with the ammonia-nitrogen cycle. Sure it says to read up on it, but at the end of the article! lol. Water changes are only effective and necessary for removing nitrates from the water (and other impurities, but that is under non-normal circumstances). This article was written for aquariums, which makes sense, because there is another way to remove nitrates from the water, and mother nature provides it for us in the form of plants. While most aquariums don't have live plants, most ponds, or water gardens, do. If you have enough plants, you technically don't ever have to change the water unless you have another motivator besides nitrates.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
rrasco said:
The article is okay, but leaves a lot for interpretation if you are not familiar with the ammonia-nitrogen cycle. Sure it says to read up on it, but at the end of the article! lol. Water changes are only effective and necessary for removing nitrates from the water (and other impurities, but that is under non-normal circumstances). This article was written for aquariums, which makes sense, because there is another way to remove nitrates from the water, and mother nature provides it for us in the form of plants. While most aquariums don't have live plants, most ponds, or water gardens, do. If you have enough plants, you technically don't ever have to change the water unless you have another motivator besides nitrates.

Agreed on the plants but I noticed a hugh growth differance while trying to get my tank stable doing daily water changes. There is a thread here about how to grow hugh koi and the guy does a 24/7 trickle system into his pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
In an aquarium, yes, I couldn't agree more. Did you have any plants in that tank? A refugium full of plants or house plants with only their roots in the water are the best ways to utilize plants in an aquarium for reducing nitrates. Water changes are probably the biggest contributor to fish growth, besides food of course.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
rrasco said:
In an aquarium, yes, I couldn't agree more. Did you have any plants in that tank? A refugium full of plants or house plants with only their roots in the water are the best ways to utilize plants in an aquarium for reducing nitrates. Water changes are probably the biggest contributor to fish growth, besides food of course.

From a chemistry standpoint the information applies to the pond.

The article was based on several years of keeping fancy goldfish in 2 dedicated fish room(s) with tanks of all sizes and shapes. The house plant thing is great for an aquarium or two. Not so much in a fish room.

If/when I do my next fish room it will have a continuous change system that discharges water through a plant bed and into the ponds. Moving is a drag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I know what you mean. I have 11 tanks, only a few anubias in a couple of them...and they're there for looks, not nitrate removal. I perform weekly 50% water changes on my tanks as it is. I think with heavily planted pond it wouldn't be necessary though. Wouldn't hurt, just not needed.

Ask a Question