Water changes, or partial fillings?

Reaction score
One more question;
As some of you may have read in another thread, I accidentally drained my pond and started mostly from scratch recently. Now I read everywhere I should do partial water changes in the beginning, but my pond is large (50.000 liter or 12k gallon) and tap water isnt free here. Its also only very lightly stocked with fish (30 in all, but the vast majority of those are small, there is only one large Koi and maybe 10 mid sized).

I only filled it partially for now, I think about 1/3 in volume. Thats plenty of water and depth for my fish. If I fill it slowly over the next weeks, wouldnt that have the same effect as water changes?

Also noteworthy, I have an iris filter bed and a ~600 liter DIY biofilter neither of which where ever drained, so Im starting with at least some microbiological life. I also added a fair amount of "bacteria in a box" to help quickstart my pond again.

Ask a Question