Water Changes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This is purely out of curiosity and pond inexperience. How many of you do regular water changes? I ask because I’ve been sorta blessed by the tank gods. I’ve had some doozies too but for the most part once my tanks are up and breathing, there is very little maintenance. I don’t fight with my tanks. Ponds? Clueless. Someone here told me to watch my pond just like my tanks and I’ll be fine. I watch my tanks closely. Ask my wife. She said I should get a lab coat instead of a bathrobe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't do water changes in the 10 years i have had the pond other then topping off from evaporation or lowering from heavy rains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do a trickle fill more to keep the pond full when I travel, so I get a change of water that way. Otherwise topping it off after cleaning which always takes some water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I do small water changes because it is set up to be convenient. I have a waterfall biological filter. Big trashcan looking thing - with a discharge pipe that comes out from the bottom. It runs out into my garden and has an easy little gate valve. Every month or two, I turn off the pump. (I usually clean out the matala pad in the skimmer and do the skimmer basket at the same time.). While it is off, gunk and crud settle down near the bottom of the waterfall receptacle. When I open that gate valve, the nasty water flows out from the bottom, giving my plants a great boost of ooky pond water! This is super convenient and only takes a little bit of time. It lowers the pond by about an inch which only takes a little bit to replace.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No, on the water changes. Most do water changes to lower nitrates and other nutrients that can build up in the water. The whole dilution is the solution to pollution thing. However, if you don’t test your tap water, you really don’t know what you are putting into your pond.

Besides, a well balanced pond will have the plants taking up nitrates/phosphates, so the water shouldn’t be that “polluted” and in need of said change.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
So kind of what I was thinking. There’s gonna be endless tweaks for a while but when things settle in, should be just like my tanks I just keep an eye on them and critters swimming therein. WC for me currently means something is amiss and dealing with it. It’s very rare for me to dose a tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water changes are big in the DKP community (dedicated koi pond) and the practice carried over to garden ponds for a long time. I think the tide has finally shifted to the point that most people understand the difference between the two and realize that maintenance needs are very different. A well balanced eco-pond doesn't require water changes.

Ask a Question