water chemistry

Reaction score
hey again, i am putting in my liner in my new and improved pond this week(hopefully). i have managed to save around 300-400 gallons or so of water from the old pond. My fish are currently enjoying my hot tub! i will be adding quite a bit of additional water and i just wanted some tips to make the transfer safely.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fill your new pond and allow the temp to stabilize. Check to make sure everything is working properly. I prefer to wait at least 24 -48 hours. Add dechlorinator if needed, check all your water chemistry readings, If all is doing good then remove about 300 gallons and add the old pond water back to the pond. If you have a bacteria supplement this is a good time to add it. Now slowly get your fish used to the water they are going in. I like using a disliked fish or something I can handle losing to try the water out, If it makes it for a hour or so it should be all good to add your fish back, just be sure and monitor ammonia as the pond will cycle in about 3-5 weeks and at that point you need to change water and keep your ammonia level as low as possible while it gets stabilized.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you want to get your fish back into the pond sooner. Put back your old water and if the liner was clean, you can then add the fish back if the water temps are close. I like to see 1-2 degrees or better. Then you can add about 1/2 again the water or in your case 175 gallons.
Slowly, over many hours, trickle in the remaining water, keeping an eye on the chlorine levels. It does not hurt to put too much dechlor it, too little is a problem.
You can free up your hot tub and enjoy it again.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i agree thats the way i do even my water changes what takes me 1 minute or so to get rid of takes me an 1&1/2 - 2 hours to replace...i allow a slow trickle flow into the start of my waterfall... this keeps the fish from exposure to any "burst" of chlorine or ammonia.from refilling too quickly.(our water has high chloramine levels) my basement pond the refill hose is fastened to my filters return pipe... especially if you use just a dechorinator that doesnt remove chlorimines. they break the chlorine ammonia bond and can elevate ammonia levels for a short period. not to mention water temps can drop a bit this time of year when the water from the hose is still ice cold and your changing or adding a significant amount of water

Ask a Question