Water Clarifiers?

FXM

Reaction score
Can someone reccommend a good "Water Clarifier" and some Barley?? Any particular companies on the WEB that anyone can reccomend for products?

Thanks!

FXM:alieneyesa:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
barley / peat extract is better than just barley... i use Tetrapond but ive used microbelifts too; both are fine. ive used tetraponds water clarifier too (it used to be called aqua rem)..but any flocculant should work..flocculants bind floating particles together so your filter can catch them so they can be removed from the system. if you have a Meijers near by they carry a full line of Tetrapond products cheaper than any online store ive seen, even less than 1/2 the price of some local pond stores here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UV Clarifier for green water.
UV High Output for green water and bacteria.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i believe hes got brown water loaded with floating particulants not green water algea problems as of yet...hes got a new Laguna pump and filter not yet hooked up.. i think hes trying to just clear up the existing water instead of cleaning out the pond and starting with new water...FXM.. a u.v light will do wonders for green water alge,but not a thing for filamentous string algea, blanket weed etc. the barley peat extract will do a good job on the string algeas etc.. buy some beneficial bacteria to seed your filter you just bought to accellerate the colonization process. why dont you just pump the water out of the pond and start new? pump the water into something like you can put the fish in for a short time. clean the pond and refill will dechlorinated water, and start fresh. or set up a fines filter to clean up the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If anyone has used Potassium Permanganate they know when it is spent the water is so brown you can't see the fish. I use hydrogen peroxide to clear it up.
If the brown water is from tannins caused by leaves or dying vegetation hydrogen peroxide will clear that up to.
Barley straw will take a while to clean up the pond because it has to start to rot and producing hydrogen peroxide to work.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you use barley extract instead of bales or pellets it already contains humic acids and you dont have to wait for organic break down to occur. before the production of peroxides. FXM how about a description of the water, and whats in it? is it muddy? just brown from tannins? and pellets brown water too

FXM

Reaction score
Koi Guy...

As mentioned previously, the 6X4X3 pond had no filter or pump for many years. The previous owner only had water lillies and what looks like hornwort in the water. I counted at least 6 medium size gold fish yesterday as well as a few tadpoles. The last two evenings during sunlight I managed to get most of the water lillies and hornwort and their years of roots out of the pond. I want to start fresh with a pump and fitler etc..

The water itself is a brackish color. Not muddy...mor brown I guess. I can see the fish when they are close to the surface,however you cannot see the bottom of the pond. I have a Laguna Power Jet Pump and a Laguna Power Flow Fitler ready to go. If I was going to pump the water out of the pond, could I use a Wet Vac?

FXM:alieneyesa:

FXM

Reaction score
This is what I was going to purchase for the water??? Any suggestions?

FXM

Laguna Barley Straw Pellets
Pond Care Accu-Clear - 16 oz- Treats 4,800 gallons $12.99
Pond Care Pond-Zyme Plus - 1 lb- Treats 16,000 gallons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your water Green or Brown?
FXM said:
This is what I was going to purchase for the water??? Any suggestions?

FXM

Laguna Barley Straw Pellets
Pond Care Accu-Clear - 16 oz- Treats 4,800 gallons $12.99
Pond Care Pond-Zyme Plus - 1 lb- Treats 16,000 gallons

Reaction score
The barley straw will take awhile to do its job, I like clarity max+. It has barley extract and helps to clump organic materials. Have you started to run the pump/filter yet?

Reaction score
Also , I use a wet vac to get rid of the muck on the bottom and sides of the pond. You can use that muck as a great fertilizer for your garden/flowers. Hope everything works out, and happy ponding!

Ask a Question