Water clarity in a large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When we moved into our house (in New England) there was this unheated swimming pool surrounded by tall trees. That didn't make much sense so I made it into a pond instead. It's about 24' diameter, circular, 4-4.5' deep. Something like 10000-12000 gallons. I put in 9 koi and now it's pretty hard to tell but maybe I have 60? Ranging in size from 1-8" in length. There is also a variable population of frogs and salamanders. (The frogs lived in the pool even when it was a pool. The only thing that bothered them was when we splashed around too much.)

There are two filters. There's a 3x6' gravel bed running a flood/drain cycle, fed by a 2600 gph submersible pump on the bottom of the pond, which has plants growing in it. I built this last year and only filled it with gravel a couple months ago (which added some sediment). There's also a waterfall filter (rated for a 5000 gallon pond) fed from a 4700 gph pump via the skimmer. That's been running for maybe 3 years now. At one point I had the skimmer feeding into the gravel bed and then the gravel bed feeding to the waterfall, but that resulted in variable flow rates which made it hard to adjust the flood/drain cycle (which is using an autosiphon) so I separated them.

On the plant side of things, there are four floating baskets with water hyacinths (based on https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/floating-planter-rings.2581/ ), three water lilies, pickerel reeds, and gamecock irises, plus I just started a half dozen each of tomatoes, lettuce, and basil in the gravel bed. All of which seem to be doing well.

I was hoping once I had the gravel bed running, especially with plants in it, that it would help the clarity. But... shortly after that was set up, we had a huge outbreak of gypsy moth caterpillars who completely stripped one of the larger oak trees over the pond. So, the entire canopy of the tree got chopped up into little bits or converted to caterpillar poop, and most of it dropped in the pond. It was clogging up the skimmer so badly I had to shut it off for cleaning twice a day. Last week, after there were basically no leaves left on that tree (and others), the caterpillars suffered a massive die-off and that is over now. So... things are running properly again, but there's probably still an excess of organic matter. Clarity was not great before this happened, and it's worse now.

Clarity... the water is pretty dark and visibility is less than 1'. There's a fair amount of particulate stuff in the water. I've tried adding a filter at the skimmer, but they clog up too fast (hours). Also, algae. Fish seem happy enough, though I did lose one during the caterpillar issues. I feed them daily.

I expect oxygen is good due to the waterfall and plants. An API test strip tells me nitrites and nitrates are around 0, pH around 7 at noon, GH General Hardness ppm (mg/L) 30, KH Carbonate Hardness ppm (mg/L) 40. (Tap water here is GH 80, KH 180.) I haven't added anything.

Given the volume, it's not generally practical to do large water changes. I've been dumping smaller amounts from the gravel bed after each rain, to get out some sediment, but that's probably <1% water change. If it was merited, I could do more but not on a regular basis.

So... mostly I am looking for advice on the clarity (although, since I've been making it up as I go, I'll gladly take other advice too). Is this something that is likely to clear up now that the other organic inputs have stopped? Am I short on filtration (maybe mechanical), and if so, what to add? Chemistry issues that need attention? I am willing to add filters and such (and I'm using quick connect unions so it would not be too difficult to do so), but since I want to use the gravel bed for aquaponics, I have to be careful about chemicals.

Picture attached.

WP_20170701_13_13_02_small.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Gypsum would be my first recommendation to achieve any measure of water clarity. It is completely benign to the aquatic environment and works by flocculating the TSS (Total Suspended Solids) where they precipitate to the bottom of the pond. This sediment, however, should be removed as the Koi will only keep it stirred up.
Your Dissolved Oxygen levels are not optimum with only 12" of visibility because algae growth is greatly inhibited therefore less Oxygen is being produce through photosynthesis.
Is there any particular reason that your gravel bed filter (bog?) is ebb and flow. More efficient nutrient removal will be obtained by maintaining a constant flow through this module.
Ultimately, you may have to resign yourself to frequent cleaning of filter pads to insure complete removal (control) of the TSS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The gravel bed (it's the wooden box in the picture, you can see the plants growing out of it) is ebb and blow so I can grow veggies. I'm sure you're right that it would filter more sediment if I kept it at a constant level and just put in bog plants, but I'd rather get more out of it.

How much gypsum? I did some browsing around and it looks like maybe 20 lbs? Sound reasonable?

Removing sediment on the bottom... I imagine the only practical solution for that is a pond vac?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use a pool leaf net to drag stuff out of the bottom of my pond. Like leaves etc. It gets all except the real fine stuff.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did some browsing around and it looks like maybe 20 lbs? Sound reasonable?

For your size pond, more like 2.5 to 3 lbs for initial application. If water does not achieve clarity desired, repeat treatment at same rate. Allow up to one or two weeks for results to show depending on pond chemistry.
Be sure to spread Gypsum evenly across pond surface.
CAUTION- Do not overapply as Gypsum will also reduce Phosphorus levels. Some Phosphorus is required for plant growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
For your size pond, more like 2.5 to 3 lbs for initial application. If water does not achieve clarity desired, repeat treatment at same rate. Allow up to one or two weeks for results to show depending on pond chemistry.
Be sure to spread Gypsum evenly across pond surface.
CAUTION- Do not overapply as Gypsum will also reduce Phosphorus levels. Some Phosphorus is required for plant growth.

Is that "apply 2.5 to 3 lbs once and wait two weeks", or "apply 2.5 to 3 lbs daily until it clears up"?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is that "apply 2.5 to 3 lbs once and wait two weeks", or "apply 2.5 to 3 lbs daily until it clears up"?

That is per application. Typically, in a garden pond, results will be seen within days. Continue dosage until desired clarity is achieved. DO NOT overdose.
Keep in mind that, if this is a bare liner pond with no bottom substrate, the Koi may keep things constantly stirred up. If this occurs the only option for complete removal of the TSS is the draining of pond unless you want to devote lots of time and some money constantly cleaning and/or replacing quilt batting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Couldn't find gypsum locally so I've ordered it, I'll give it a try next week when it arrives, thanks. In the meantime I added some additional filtration in the waterfall. And added another water lily, that's a hazard of visiting the local pond store. :) The water hyacinths have started flowering nicely.

It is a bare liner, aside from the sediment that no doubt is being stirred up. Would I be better adding some kind of substrate on the bottom? Or just vacuuming sediment out regularly? I'm ok with not having perfect 4' visibility, I'd just like to see more of my fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The gypsum application(s) should help. A substrate would not be of any help as the Koi will root around in that.I have seen adult Koi 'team-up' to move proportionately large rocks to get at a morsel hiding underneath.

There are several areas of improvement that can be addressed in your pond. I have been reluctant to mention them because that was not the subject of this thread. If you are interested in a few suggestions, please ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Other advice is certainly welcome. I've been doing this on my own without a lot of guidance so I'm sure there are plenty of things that could be improved.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It is a bare liner, aside from the sediment that no doubt is being stirred up. Would I be better adding some kind of substrate on the bottom? Or just vacuuming sediment out regularly? I'm ok with not having perfect 4' visibility, I'd just like to see more of my fish.[/QUOTE]

It's better to have a bare liner ..
If you have a vacuum using it will start clearing the water .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Other advice is certainly welcome. I've been doing this on my own without a lot of guidance so I'm sure there are plenty of things that could be improved.

Let's first determine what you actually now have.
-A circular pond 24' diameter x 4- 4.5' deep. This computes to 13,500 - 15,000 gallons.
-The total flow rate in between 4700 gph and 7300 gph.
-Suppemental biofiltration consists of a waterfall filter (unknown size) and a phyto-filter (grow bed---3 x 6 x unknown depth)
-Approximately 60 Koi (Total body mass unknown).
-No supplemental aeration.

Looking at the above data, the current stocking level is acceptable as far as pond capacity is concerned, but not so for the current flow rate and available biofiltration.

For this stocking to capacity ratio, a flow rate of 1.5 times the total pond capacity per hour is recommended, but no less than once per hour. This means for proper circulation this pond should have a continuous flow rate of at least 13,500 - 15,000 gph with 20,000 - 22,500 gph being optimal.

Along with this increased flow rate, more continuous supplemental biofiltration should be made available. The present level is woefully inadequate to support the current fish load and will become even moreso as the current fish population increases in body mass.

Supplemental aeration should also be considered so to be available when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, I added 2.5-3 lbs of gypsum yesterday. Naturally that made it more cloudy but today at the 30 hour mark it is roughly back to where it was before I added the gypsum. We will see.

Regarding the pumps and filtration, ultimately I want to replace the submersible pump. So if I shift the 4700 gph pump to the gravel bed, and then put an 8000 gph pump on the waterfall, that would get me close to those numbers. I could add a canister filter on that line as well. I think to increase the flow beyond that I would need a second waterfall.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ok, I added 2.5-3 lbs of gypsum yesterday. Naturally that made it more cloudy but today at the 30 hour mark it is roughly back to where it was before I added the gypsum. We will see.

Just remember--this is not an overnight wonder treatment. As stated earlier it may take up to one or two weeks (depending on the pond's water chemistry. before any measurable results are realized
I would not re-apply until at least one week has passed

Ask a Question