Water clarity problems in new pond

Reaction score
My Koi pond is 6 weeks old and should have gone through a complete water cycle by now. My pond is 3400 gallons with a filter by Aqua it is an Ultima 11 Filter and I was told it would more than handle my 3400 gallons by turning over my complete water volume in an hour. My water test show good reading, however I can not achieve the water clarity necessary to enjoy my pond. I do not have a UV light and the more I research the more confused I become. Now trying Aqua-One pond clarifier. Please help!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I also have lots of pumps and good filters before the pump. I have about 3500 gallons of water and I probally turn my water at least 4 or 5 times an hour, if not more, and my water is crystal clear and I have some really big koi. You can never have too much filters and pumps during the hot summer. It is better to save the money that a expensive UV light would cost and invest in another pump, as another pump and filter will most likely be needed for a pond that large in the full sun. A separate pump and filter at the other end of pond would help circulate that end better. You may end up needing a extra pump down the road as the fish grow anyway, and it is always good to have a extra pump and filter on standby, or for winter use. During the winter I need ti have a extra pump on standby just in case. Now is a good time to look for end of season sales and find a good deal on another spare pump and filter. Shopping now for spring can save you lots of money as there should be good sales soon. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So your suffering cloudy water syndrome at the moment, ok so nines out of ten it's indicating your pond isnt propperly cycled as of yet .
What test kits are you using please (1) test strips, (2) API drop kits, (3) Tetra drop kits if your answer to this question is (1) then get rid of it as test strips are not too accurate (2) or (3) are the best two kits on the market.
You say the pond has cycled when did you note the spike in ammonia and nitrite that indicate the pond is cycled?
Please could you tell me the results of your ammonia, nitrite, Nitrate, Ph Kh,Gh?
What size Aqua pond UV-C are you running, I ask this because we run the 36 watt one with the twin bulbs, where is it situated (1) before filter, (2) after filter ?
I'm a little confused as to which filter your running on the pond which of these is it on the link provided please :-

http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Ultraviolet-AAV50073-Ultima-Aquarium/dp/B0002DJUNS

I ask this because from what I see most of these filters are rated less than your 3800 gallons US we only have a 1,000 imperial gallon pond for our koi but the filtration would run both yours and ours quite easily and still have capacity to spare ( our pond is a retro fitted purpose built koi Dealership QT pond capable of QT ing up to 100 6" koi for months at a time).
If you point point out which pump it is then we can look at its specs.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Add a bacteria based clarifier.
Add a copper based clarifier.
Add hydrogen peroxide.
Add a flocculent.
Add Koi clay.
Add plants.
Add different kinds of plants.
Add more plants.
Remove plants.
Add bacteria.
Add salt.
Add barley straw.
Add barley pellets.
Add concentrated barley extract.
Add a bog.
Add a stream.
Add a waterfall.
Add rocks.
Remove rocks.
Add certain kinds of rocks.
Make the pond bigger.
Make the pond deeper.
Add more O2 with an air pump.
Add a Skippy filter.
Add quilting batting.
Add shade.
Do water changes.
Don't do water changes.
Stop feeding feed fish.

That's only some of the very common fixes you will read for turning green water clear.

After you try all those things, and a few more, you could try getting a UV or the fixing the UV you already have (couldn't tell from your description if you have a UV). A properly sized, installed and maintained UV is 100% effect against green water. Every single case, every pond, no exceptions.

And the long list of sure fired fixes above? Well an interesting thing about ponds, they sometimes just clear on their own like magic. There's an actual cause but people don't see it so it's magic. If you happen to pick #7 on the list (whatever that is) and your pond just happens to clear on its own, you will become a true believer that #7 is how green ponds can be made clear. And you will tell everyone you know that #7 is the cure.

Kind of interesting that there is such a long list of fixes. You might think if any one of them worked why would there be all the others?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Add a bacteria based clarifier.
Add a copper based clarifier.
Add hydrogen peroxide.
Add a flocculent.
Add Koi clay.
Add plants.
Add different kinds of plants.
Add more plants.
Remove plants.
Add bacteria.
Add salt.
Add barley straw.
Add barley pellets.
Add concentrated barley extract.
Add a bog.
Add a stream.
Add a waterfall.
Add rocks.
Remove rocks.
Add certain kinds of rocks.
Make the pond bigger.
Make the pond deeper.
Add more O2 with an air pump.
Add a Skippy filter.
Add quilting batting.
Add shade.
Do water changes.
Don't do water changes.
Stop feeding feed fish.

That's only some of the very common fixes you will read for turning green water clear.

After you try all those things, and a few more, you could try getting a UV or the fixing the UV you already have (couldn't tell from your description if you have a UV). A properly sized, installed and maintained UV is 100% effect against green water. Every single case, every pond, no exceptions.

And the long list of sure fired fixes above? Well an interesting thing about ponds, they sometimes just clear on their own like magic. There's an actual cause but people don't see it so it's magic. If you happen to pick #7 on the list (whatever that is) and your pond just happens to clear on its own, you will become a true believer that #7 is how green ponds can be made clear. And you will tell everyone you know that #7 is the cure.

Kind of interesting that there is such a long list of fixes. You might think if any one of them worked why would there be all the others?
LOL I know this is a old tread, but you left off give it more time and then some.

Ask a Question