Water clarity

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
South Africa
All u need is a good filtration system. Everyone told me this but I always thought my system is up to standard but I have always had an algae problem until I lost 15 koi and that changed my whole perception and I played around with some filter material and it’s been going good for 6 months now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pictures, description of the pond size etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
South Africa
Not that big it’s about 2800l

Attachments

• D10CA767-9B22-4C54-8582-B40B938B28CC.jpeg
    D10CA767-9B22-4C54-8582-B40B938B28CC.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 11550174-D7C5-43C1-BF8E-733403A6BFBD.jpeg
    11550174-D7C5-43C1-BF8E-733403A6BFBD.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 137
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
South Africa
One product I find which brilliant it cleared my water that was very green at the beginning was Tetra algae rem. This cleared my water within 2hrs to crystal clear. Algae on the walls was still somewhat there but water was clear. My advice would be to make a temporary filter cos the amount of cropped up fine algae will block main filter quickly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not that big it’s about 2800l
Your pond is around 730 gallons. That is way to small for koi, they create a lot of waste. You should only have goldfish in the pond. Shubunkins are real pretty and would make a great addition to your pond.

I get clear water using plants as filters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
15 koi in 700 gallons! There's not enough filtration on the planet to keep that many koi healthy in a pond of that size - sorry, not trying to be harsh. That is just reality. Sure, when they are small things will be fine, but as they grow, your pond will not be able to handle the amount of waste they produce. Please reconsider your choice of fish - your pond is the perfect size for some lovely goldfish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
South Africa
15 koi in 700 gallons! There's not enough filtration on the planet to keep that many koi healthy in a pond of that size - sorry, not trying to be harsh. That is just reality. Sure, when they are small things will be fine, but as they grow, your pond will not be able to handle the amount of waste they produce. Please reconsider your choice of fish - your pond is the perfect size for some lovely goldfish.
Hi Lisak I do know that but this pond is a temporary home for them. They are still small but I am building a larger pond in my backyard after my loss I acquired some more and I have 11 small koi currently. I am building 5000l to maybe a 6000l pond in my backyard and will be removing some front the front and put them in the back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That sounds like a good plan, but let me just stress this one more time - 700 gallons is barely enough for ONE koi, let alone multiple. And you better build fast - koi grow at an extremely fast rate. You need to be thinking of 4-5000 gallons if you plan to keep 15 or more koi.

Again - not picking on you. We just see this ALL THE TIME. "Everything was fine and then suddenly all my fish are sick/fully of ulcers/dying/dead". Because the fish get too big and the filtration can't keep up. In the case of a too-small pond, it's not WHETHER you'll hit the tipping point... it's when.

You started this thread to talk about filtration - what kind of filtration are you using? What did you switch to that improved your algae situation? Also remember - clear water DOESN'T mean healthy water. Some of the healthiest koi on the planet are raised in mud ponds that we would consider "dirty". Fish aren't concerned with water CLARITY - they need water QUALITY. Do you test your water?

Don't let the responses scare you off - we're all here to learn from each other. This is a group of kind and caring people who will be honest with you when the see trouble on the horizon. Dying fish is hard on both the fish AND the owner!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am building 5000l to maybe a 6000l pond in my backyard
That is still only 1300-1500 gallons, those that keep koi say it is good for one maybe two koi.

I only do shubunkins.

Ask a Question