Water colour

vic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a garden pond for a few years now and constantly seem to have problems maintaining clear water. Pehaps I'm making the same mistake continually.At the moment the water is slightly green but with a dirty ,murky appearance.
The pond is 1000 galls and contains 3 goldfsih,3 sarasa comets and 3 young golden orfe.it has a Pondxpert 12000 filter with UV.I put in a new lamp 10 days ago but as I say the ware is still slightly green but mostly murky.In the past talking to different people only seems to provide different answers and different treatments don't seem to work.Can you please help because as you know not being able to see the fish is annoying.I have checked the water for PH,ammonia and nitrate and all seem to be OK

Reaction score
If the UV light is working it should clear the water. How old is the bulb? Is the water going through the UV light at the proper speed?

vic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the UV light is working it should clear the water. How old is the bulb? Is the water going through the UV light at the proper speed?
The bulb is new and @m not sure of the sped.As I say the water is more murky than green

Reaction score
Unless your UV light is built into your filter it would be a good idea to pipe it so that you can control the flow with valves. That way you can slow the speed down. Also are you sure that the light is actually on?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@vic do you have any plants in your pond? Plants really help control the algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a garden pond for a few years now and constantly seem to have problems maintaining clear water. Pehaps I'm making the same mistake continually.At the moment the water is slightly green but with a dirty ,murky appearance.
The pond is 1000 galls and contains 3 goldfsih,3 sarasa comets and 3 young golden orfe.it has a Pondxpert 12000 filter with UV.I put in a new lamp 10 days ago but as I say the ware is still slightly green but mostly murky.In the past talking to different people only seems to provide different answers and different treatments don't seem to work.Can you please help because as you know not being able to see the fish is annoying.I have checked the water for PH,ammonia and nitrate and all seem to be OK
Vic when was the last time you vaccumed the ponds bottom and did maintenance to your filter , I have the same sized pond with koi in it and I can see clear to the bottom .
You could try AlgoRem by Tetra which acts as a flucculant clumping the algea together before you scoop it off the top of the pond or if you have a bottom drain like we have allow it to be collected by your vortex filter ......
As to the murky water do you get run off from your garen when you get rain?

Dave

Ask a Question