Water current

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So in my little water feature (300 gallons) is it possible to have to much current from the pump. It's a dual spout pump...one is connected to the veggie filter the other is half open and just creating current. Any negatives for a strong current and circulating a pond quickly?

I believe if you look closely you can see some ripple from the current from the pump. My pump is located by the astible bottom left corner in pic and it's shooting water to the top left circling back to the pump since it's an oval pond.

Pic to help see my set up.

Attachments

• 20170401_195956.jpg
    20170401_195956.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 531
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What is the gph of the pump you're using?

I bought a 600 - from all I read thinking that is what I would need but after trying my old 264 (current in pond) it would be too much. The 264 really put's nice flow to the veggie filter but still allows me to move a lot of current. I can add more flow to the veggie filter and lessen the current ...just was curious if too much flow can be a bad thing as far as plants, fish, and the entire eco system I'm trying to establish. I know moving water is a great deterrent for mosquitoes but what about other critter's I want...frogs...snails... those type of things.

Got a few small eddies and blockages from planters but for the most part it looks like its rippin some current.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Reaction score
No such thing as too much current as long as fish have a place to rest (plenty in your pond) and your plants don't get pushed around too much. Current = O2 = life. One Koi Pond design is kind of a raceway with lots of current so the fish have almost no resting places. Keeps them fit when being grown for max size. Too lazy, too much food and their belly can drop...same issue lots of people have.

More O2 improves fish health, although there is a diminishing return. Helps bacteria to break down waste faster.

I have heard people claim more O2 can increase algae. There's truth to that if O2 is the limiting growth factor but that's virtually never true in backyard ponds. Farms that grow algae do increase O2 to get more growth so that's the "truth" part. The faster water moves past plant roots the better the roots do, more chance to grab nutrients. Hydroponics use moving water at a pretty good clip. Again, there is a diminishing return.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
lovely pond , if u want wild life , frogs , insects more , you need to create some type of gradual slope for them to get in and get out easily , also few semi submerged rocks or gravel with thick plants , it should not be deep straightaway

your flow looks fine , fancy goldfishes may not like strong flow , u can add a flat rock on which that water drops and flows in the pond like stream, that will make it more stable , make sure not to drop it from alot height or uil loos water in splashes , perhaps u can drop it into another gravel/plant pot inside pond as u have few

Last edited:
Reaction score
Someone gave me a fantail once (goldfish, not surgically added) and it did seem to struggle to get from point A to point B. Felt bad for it. And for some reason it rode the stream often and I'd find it stuck someplace. But it just kept going and going. Amazing. Sorry, just reminded me of that fish. Good fish. But yeah, they can barely swim even in calm water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
The current doesn't look alarming from the photos and the fish look happy, I'd say your on the right track.

Ask a Question