Water drainage when pump is on

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys,

we inherited a pond when purchased our home so now we need to learn how to maintain this pond and the koi fish it comes with alive.

so my current problem is the water drained whenever we turn on the pond. How do I fill up the water so the fish won’t die on us?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Oh my! More information might help us figure it out. How long have you been living there and were there already fish or have you added them? How big is the pond? Does it have a waterfall? What kind of liner does it have (plastic preformed, a rubber liner, or concrete)? Do you know where the pump is located? Do you see an obvious leak anywhere? Are there any plants? What kind of filter does it have?

But most of all, pictures would be a big help!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It sounds like the pipe coming from the pond is not returning it thru a filter or waterfall. Find your pump and follow the tubing coming from it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1618941547227.gif
@Ktran
I hope if you need to add water you have dechlorinator if you have chlorine in your city water. If you have well water you won't need it. Just add water slowly so fish don't become shocked. More info would be good on what happened.

Reaction score
Country
United States
40B634A6-8F81-4321-A2DC-B5C4E81398F0.jpeg
5395D93C-07CE-47C1-B8F8-BC6255525662.jpeg
73BC1D02-C4C1-49F9-B758-F38BF640664D.jpeg
7559D944-D75F-4EA6-AD03-776EED60881F.jpeg

Hi everyone,

so here are some pictures of the pond and the pump along with the wire/core.

as far as I know the fish have been in the pond for a long time. The linear is rubber I believe. There’s a water hose that sit on top of those rocks which create a waterfall.

thank you all in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
one observation i can make is you can see your pond is recessed into the ground nd you have some relatively tall sides within the pond. but the waterfall does not and is the usual leaker in nature nature will cut its way intot he earth with both the pond and the falls .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The connection picture, it appears someone did a wrap with electric tape repair on the left side where the hand is. I think you need to fix both of those connections. Do you see water coming out when it is running? It looks wet

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good eye @mrsclem there is tape over the end of the ball valve not a good sign remove the tape. Take the tubing off the barb fitting. CLEAN THE PIPPE . Take some pvc glue and primer and reduce the fitting . Put the hose clamp back on and see what you got

Reaction score
While you figure out where the water is going, I would add, that if you still have fish in there now, please add some kind of aeration or air pump to provide oxygen to the fish and the pond. A simple setup of air pump, line and an air stone is good enough until you you get your main filtration/waterfall back up and running. I would keep it running afterwards also...more aeration is good. These can be found at local pond / garden centers and also the pet stores. Just tell them you want something for your size of pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While you figure out where the water is going, I would add, that if you still have fish in there now, please add some kind of aeration or air pump
Those fountains are providing more air then any airstone ever could.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
as another recent poster found, it's very hard to connect the corrugated tubing to barb fittings. If it were mine, I'd ditch that type pipe and start new. Get something like flex pvc but in the size you need. Barring that, even a rubber hose would work a lot better with your barb fittings.

Ask a Question