Water Evaporation

Reaction score
Hello everyone.Just curious to know if anyone would like to share their stories concerning water evaporation in their fishponds.I realize there are MANY factors concerning just how much water disappears on a daily basis.Mostly to do with atmospheric and weather conditions.But every once in awhile I cant help but think my pond has lost just a lilttle to much water and I begin to think leak(paranoia?).Then it goes days without seeming to lose any and all seems normal.Any magic formulas,guides,rules to go by? My pond measures 10' wide by 16' long with and average deapth of 18 inches. That puts it right around 1800 gallons. I have a numbered measuring stick I watch my water levels with. On a hot day :goldfish: I have lost as much as an inch in 24 hours? Sound normal to you? On less hot days very little, so I would think if there were a small leak I would lose the same amount each time I add water...sound logical to you?

Reaction score
Sounds correct. I've had the same thing happen. If you have any exposed liner, it will get VERY hot on sunny days. That will increase evaporation. Waterfalls will also increase evaporation.

Losing an inch in your pond would be just under 100 gallons. Doesn't see too unreasonable.

I've lost approximately an inch in a day or two. I don't have any measuring stick, but I do notice.

Reaction score
My pond is about 12 x 12 or so. 3' high multi drop waterfall (lots of splash on rocks into the pond) and I lose about 3" a week on a hot spell. that plus a little pond vacuuming is about right for a weekly water change of 10-15%

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I lose about 2" a week here in So Cal. It has been 95 degrees and I have a 4' waterfall running 24/7.

Reaction score
I loose much more then that. We got our pond last spring. It is rock lined, 11' x 21', >2000 gals with a large waterfall. Last summer we swore we had a leak because we were losing several inches a day. Once the weather started to cool, it stopped. So we figured it was evaporation. This summer it started again. Like I said, I loose several inches a day. I run the hose every night for about 20 mins. When it was really hot, I was even losing it at night, just not as much. We are on Long Island in NY. Right now it is is the 80's, but sometimes it gets to the 90's. The water is crystal clear, which is great. But it gets annoying to do this every night, plus I have to keep adding salt and dechlorinator.

Reaction score
bunnymp said:
I loose much more then that. We got our pond last spring. It is rock lined, 11' x 21', >2000 gals with a large waterfall. Last summer we swore we had a leak because we were losing several inches a day. Once the weather started to cool, it stopped. So we figured it was evaporation. This summer it started again. Like I said, I loose several inches a day. I run the hose every night for about 20 mins. When it was really hot, I was even losing it at night, just not as much. We are on Long Island in NY. Right now it is is the 80's, but sometimes it gets to the 90's. The water is crystal clear, which is great. But it gets annoying to do this every night, plus I have to keep adding salt and dechlorinator.

Becareful adding salt! Salt does not evaporate (ever heard of the Dead Sea). Most chemicals added to a pond, lake, sea, ocean, if they do not beakdown, stay in that body of water, adding more will increase the percentage.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I never use dechlor when topping off my pond. If I were to do more than 25% water change, then yes I will use it.

It doesn't hurt to do it, but for less than 5% it is money down the drain to use the chemicals.

Never add salt without testing first!

Reaction score
I don't dechlor either when topping off my pond. Chlorine breaks down pretty fast, that's why chlorine has to be added to pools so often.

Reaction score
I do not add the dechlor on a regular basis - every few weeks, that is all.
As far as the salt goes, I measure the level every day with a digital meter.

Ask a Question