Water feature with chlorine?

Reaction score
I have a small 160 gal preform water feature with a waterfall. I don't have plants or fish due to a severe raccoon problem. I am wondering if I added chlorine to the "pond" if my pump would get damaged. Anyone with any advice for me? I am looking for cyrstal clear water and thought chlorine might be the way to go. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Judy

Reaction score
Chlorine only lasts at best 72 hours. It's much better to use a fountain product like fountec. Email me for more details and how to get this product.

Reaction score
Water features are known throughout the market as chlorine consumers. The aeration of water will dissipate chlorine faster than standing water. Water features recirculation times can also change which can delay chemical feed. Siemens Water Technology provides enhanced time based proportioning which will change control parameters due to change in recirculation times and keep your water within health department regulation.

Cindy

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

There is nothing more relaxing than taking a break from gardening and settling down beside a gently splashing waterfall. However, it is not as soothing to think about the expense and back breaking labor it may take to install a full blown pond into your landscape. Also, the maintenance is not enjoyable to some people. There is an alternative! Water features do not have to be massive to have the same effects. If you have an interesting urn or basin, you’ve got what it takes to create your own low maintenance, inexpensive garden pool.

Cindy.

Reaction score
Chlorine will not damage a pump but it fades very quickly. You are better off using an algae remover such as Algaefix or Fountian Clear.

Reaction score
There is a product called stock trine 2, it is an algaecide. It is for stock watering tanks, troughs and ponds for cattle, horses..ect... Application is 1 ounce for every 250 gallons. This way in it's diluted state it is safe for animals and people. http:/www.appliedbiochemists.com Manufacturers website

Reaction score
You want to use something that is animal safe. Even though you don't have fish or plants wild birds will come for a drink and shower. The stock tank stuff works great and you wont be killing any thing but algae.

Reaction score
ok, here's my product pitch: PondBlock by Jungle. it's this little block of chalky stuff with a VERY SMALL SMALL SMALL amount of copper sulfide in it. it's small enough to kill off purdy much all algae without being harmful to wildlife. i use it in my fountain, and the birds still love to play in it! hope that helps!:icon_smile:

Reaction score
hi too you put an alt sonic alarm about so that only animals can hear that's what i have done I live in England the cats do not come about regards Brian

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
with no fish, a lite dose of barley extract, and maybe half doses of a mild algacide, should more than suffice, since there is no contributing bioload to feed algae. plants would just have to be kept pruned to keep plant matter from dropping and decaying, whereby supplying food for algae. put a little pond dye in the water too, to block sunlight, also needed by algae..or shade the water feature, this would also keep the water safe for wildlife.

Ask a Question