Water features - Good or Bad?!

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone~ Spring is coming :happy:

This will be the first spring with my new pond (came with the house I bought last year). I would like to add a few water features as the pond is quite large. There are several dozen pumpkinseed sunfish (20-30 counted last summer) and many frogs. The previous owners never fed the wildlife and did not treat the water so it's a fairly self-sustaining environment and looks pretty good.

I am hoping to add a waterfall on one end and a small cascading bowl fountain on the other. The pond seems large enough to where I won't disturb the wildlife too much. What do you all think?! I don't want to shock the system and scare away the frogs. Here you can see a few pics of the pond and what/where I hope to add.

Do we think this will be ok? My primary concern is allowing the ecosystem to continue thriving on its own.

PS: I will be adding more plants and landscaping to give the edges a natural look!!

FeatureLocation.jpg
Feature 2.jpg
feature1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I believe any water movement is beneficial.
Not only can a waterfall or other feature look nice, but the sound is relaxing and the splashing at the surface is beneficial to the water by increasing oxygenation.

Just as a note, and this is just my opinion...
I keep all my plumbing within my pond and bog. This way, if something springs a leak, water will not escape the pond.

I also got tired of replacing that corregated "pond hose" every couple of years. I now use both ridgid schedule 40 PVC pipe and black schedule 40 flex PVC. The flex PVC is not all that flexible, but you can bend it. It depends on the diameter. There are two kinds. One is more flexible. The flex PVC is so durable, I believe it is the last hose I'll ever buy.

I say go for it. Add as many waterfalls and spitters you like. Spitters are nice. They come in so many forms. Statues, animal shapes, rocks, etc. You can even make your own.

Keep us posted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Add some rocks, on the trays of water fall #2 and a few plants like creeping jenny or something like that. It will make it look more natural. Add some rocks to the outside edge of it. Your pond picture looks like you did some of that.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the awesome feedback! I am glad to hear water features won’t deter wildlife. The pond has quite an active “community” so I didn’t want to screw with that.

As far as plumbing is concerned, these will run on the included simple pumps with hose attachment for now. Good to know about the piping upgrades!

Ive started building up around the waterfall and will add cascading plants on each side to mask the clearly manmade rock formations haha ! I also purchased several dozen perimeter plants that will sit on the shelf.

I’ll post updates once everything is set up and decorated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am concerned, Stagnant water = Death! and mosquitos D:

I think many creatures are wary of small bodies of standing water(?) I even put a small pond pump in the middle of my pond just to get some current flow in the middle. I forget the term we use for them but basically just a jet of water flow to add a current and ripple the water surface for oxygenation.

(y) Totally think your pond is begging for those additions! After I had running water and more plants to my pond the wild life came flocking in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for the awesome feedback! I am glad to hear water features won’t deter wildlife. The pond has quite an active “community” so I didn’t want to screw with that.

As far as plumbing is concerned, these will run on the included simple pumps with hose attachment for now. Good to know about the piping upgrades!

Ive started building up around the waterfall and will add cascading plants on each side to mask the clearly manmade rock formations haha ! I also purchased several dozen perimeter plants that will sit on the shelf.

I’ll post updates once everything is set up and decorated
have a mind toward the water flow as plants around a waterfall can detour the water out of your pond. Unless you have the liner all encompassing (which would be very wise!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't stress enough how just seeing how a truly natural water fall is built a stream just knowing a few tricks is all the difference in the world. Most will spend countless hours in building what they think is a good looking pond but to others looks like a pile of rocks. a little knowledge that you can find on you tube can make a interesting feature into a breath taking this is your yard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't stress enough how just seeing how a truly natural water fall is built a stream just knowing a few tricks is all the difference in the world. Most will spend countless hours in building what they think is a good looking pond but to others looks like a pile of rocks. a little knowledge that you can find on you tube can make a interesting feature into a breath taking this is your yard.
Haha! I fully agree, I really should've taken more time and effort with my pond. It really doesn't "look" very well done as far as the edging and landscaping goes, I just lie to myself and say it's a working progress :p. But when I see all the wild life enjoying it, frog spawn, fish, dragonfly, birds bathing in the shallows etc.. critters are happy and the water is healthy, so I am happy and couldn't ask for much more.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After 11 years of having our pond, I can look at it and say I shoulda coulda done this that. All the wildlife love it, it pleases the life around here, which makes me happy! Liner shows a bit in the bog during the winter, summer plants hide it. Could I stack stones, yep, am I going to nope.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haha! I fully agree, I really should've taken more time and effort with my pond. It really doesn't "look" very well done as far as the edging and landscaping goes, I just lie to myself and say it's a working progress :p. But when I see all the wild life enjoying it, frog spawn, fish, dragonfly, birds bathing in the shallows etc.. critters are happy and the water is healthy, so I am happy and couldn't ask for much more.
Sorry it came across as a past tense to your work, i was solely talking in regard to watching a few videos can show how to make a jewel in your kingdom.

Ask a Question