Water flow meter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of our members have mentioned that they use water flow meters. There are a multitude available for about $20-35 dollars. Suggestions are appreciated for a reliable brand and model. Thanks!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s been a while, but I ordered one from Amazon. Sorry, but I don’t recall any details, other that it seemed reliable. Knowing me, I probably went by product reviews at the time, but nowadays, those are often questionable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think mine is Orbit. Works great as long as enough flow is going through it. It doesn’t register if you have the hose turned on to just a trickle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks combatwombat! I suspected the accuracy is variable but it should provide 'close enough' information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think mine is Orbit. Works great as long as enough flow is going through it. It doesn’t register if you have the hose turned on to just a trickle.
CW; have you ever filled the pond yet using your meter? I ask because if you're filling now with gutter water, will you have an accurate total for any future dosings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CW; have you ever filled the pond yet using your meter? I ask because if you're filling now with gutter water, will you have an accurate total for any future dosings?

Nope. I still don't know the actual volume of the system. I plan to drain, fill, and meter soon, though. I suspect its going to come up far short of the 11,000 gallons I advertise in my signature, though...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no prob; just thought you were going to use the rain as a helper and doing so, you would not have an accurate total. This is the one thing I wish I'd done differently when I expanded; I'll have to hope my math is good when I do have to dose as I'm not going to empty and start over, not 7K gallons and not with all the fish etc. I never would have had a real accurate measure if I'd used a meter anyhow as I transferred my fish from the old side to the new, then had to lower the water level, then fill the whole thing up, so I was sort of SOL from the get-go.

I hear you can measure your gallonage using salt content but since I don't do that either..,!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope. I still don't know the actual volume of the system. I plan to drain, fill, and meter soon, though. I suspect its going to come up far short of the 11,000 gallons I advertise in my signature, though...
If you don't have tender plants you can do this with salt without emptying the pond. You just need salt and a salinity meter. It should get you within about 10% of the actual volume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you don't have tender plants you can do this with salt without emptying the pond. You just need salt and a salinity meter. It should get you within about 10% of the actual volume.

Thanks @icu2. I recognize your name from Koiphen. Welcome! I love your stream-flow pond. Such a cool design.

I did recently read an article about measuring volume w/ salt. Very clever. Will have to read through the steps again to make sure I really understand how to do it.

My pond is still under construction, so no plants at all, though I plan to have many. Maybe I can use the salt method now, and then let this winter's rain dilute it out before planting in the spring?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the kind words and the welcome!

Let me know if I can answer any questions. If you decide to give it a try and need a salinity meter to borrow I'm just over on the
Olympic Peninsula and would be happy to mail it to you. They're about $100 so kind of pricey if it's a thing you'll only use once,
although they're good if nitrites ever become an issue too.

As far as the rain and salt, it's best to do actual water changes. Salt being a solid won't decrease with evaporation over time.
But it only takes about .15% to get a pretty accurate calculation and most plants can handle .1% fairly well. If you have that
much time before adding them, I think you'll be fine just doing a couple good water changes.

Last edited:

Ask a Question