Water foamy

Dee

Reaction score
Is my koi pond find I have 3/4 of my koi pond foamy. I have 10,000 gallon koi pond my ph 7.5 my gh 60 kh is 180 I used salt 12 days ago fish don't seem to be spawning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your question is a bit unclear - are you saying 3/4 of the pond is covered in foam? can you post a picture? And why are you salting your pond?

Dee

Reaction score
Your question is a bit unclear - are you saying 3/4 of the pond is covered in foam? can you post a picture? And why are you salting your pond?
Yes I was salting for three reason adding salt for add slime to my koi second to softing my water thirdly to kill off some algae in the water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you routinely add salt? The reason I ask is salt does not dissipate. So if you keep adding it, your salinity will keep rising, unless you're doing water changes. I'm not a big fan of salt in the pond to be honest. You're keeping fresh water fish. Salt for treating an illness or injury has merit - many people believe routine salting makes the salt less effective when you need it. Just something to think about.

A few more details may help. How many koi do you have? How old is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have plants in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Are all of your fish accounted for? Have you tested recently? Something dead can cause that I believe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is my koi pond find I have 3/4 of my koi pond foamy. I have 10,000 gallon koi pond my ph 7.5 my gh 60 kh is 180 I used salt 12 days ago fish don't seem to be spawning
I'm not sure that this is what's going on in your pond, but when my pond was renovated I had a similar problem with foam on a third of the top. I tried water changes and feeding less, thinking it was due to undissolved organic matter, but that didn't fix the problem.
In the end I realized it was due to the way the water was flowing. it didn't look possible being that the foamy area was close to the skimmer box,and the current in my pond is high, but somehow there was a vortex of stagnant water forming in that area ...I ended up redirect the flow of the spill using stones and within 30 minutes the foam cleared
Again, I'm not saying this is what's happening in your pond, I just thought I'd share my experience just in case it is

Dee

Reaction score
Do you routinely add salt? The reason I ask is salt does not dissipate. So if you keep adding it, your salinity will keep rising, unless you're doing water changes. I'm not a big fan of salt in the pond to be honest. You're keeping fresh water fish. Salt for treating an illness or injury has merit - many people believe routine salting makes the salt less effective when you need it. Just something to think about.

A few more details may help. How many koi do you have? How old is your pond? What kind of filtration do you have? Do you have plants in your pond?
Thanks I'll keep that in mind, I woke early this morning I add a about five percent water change, that did stop the foaming I think it was the salt my koi are doing fine

Dee

Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is what's going on in your pond, but when my pond was renovated I had a similar problem with foam on a third of the top. I tried water changes and feeding less, thinking it was due to undissolved organic matter, but that didn't fix the problem.
In the end I realized it was due to the way the water was flowing. it didn't look possible being that the foamy area was close to the skimmer box,and the current in my pond is high, but somehow there was a vortex of stagnant water forming in that area ...I ended up redirect the flow of the spill using stones and within 30 minutes the foam cleared
Again, I'm not saying this is what's happening in your pond, I just thought I'd share my experience just in case it is
Thank you I think I fix the problem, I'll let you know later this evening if I did

Ask a Question