Water from a cistern to maintain water level

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good morning. I'm in the process of building my 1st water garden. My question is concerning maintaining my water level. I have an old cistern not too far from my pond and want to use it for my water supply. It is also used to reduce the water table for my house. With this I could always have a constant supply of fresh water going into the pond. Is this a good idea?

Attachments

• 20200905_192727.jpg
    20200905_192727.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think it's a fine idea. We have an underground water storage system that's part of our pond design - essentially the same concept. When we get a lot of rain, we're able to store the extra underground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would there be a problem with to much fresh water going into the pond? My thought is it would be like a natural spring feeding the pond year round.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Would there be a problem with to much fresh water going into the pond? My thought is it would be like a natural spring feeding the pond year round.

No there shouldn’t be a problem. What you are looking for is stability in your water quality a constant slow feed of water running/flowing through the pond should be beneficial to this end, as long as the source water doesn’t become contaminated.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
as long as the source water doesn’t become contaminated

That would be one concern. You'd want your stored water to be kept moving, so either install a bubble or small pump or find a way for the pond water to constantly circulate through the cistern.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That would be one concern. You'd want your stored water to be kept moving, so either install a bubble or small pump or find a way for the pond water to constantly circulate through the cistern.
Being that the cistern is more like a sump pit, it's constantly removing ground water 12 feet down and pumping it out. I though about a having a constant flow of fresh water coming into the pond then overflowing into the creek.

Ask a Question