Water Garden Plants for Northern Climate

Reaction score
Hey, folks!

I wondered if anyone has any theories or suggestions for plants to go around my koi pond. I live in Freeport, IL (just a little south of the Wisconsin state line) so it obviously tends to get pretty cold here in the winter. I'm looking for small trees and shrubs and ground cover to fill in behind my waterfall box to give it a natural look (going for Japanese style). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

James

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What zone is that James? We are 6b, probably warmer than you. Junipers (ever greens) look great, I have some low growing ground cover type and small bush types. Ornamental grasses can look great, Creeping jenny does well. The small japanese maples look very nice near a pond, plant so the leaves don't fall in the water.

Reaction score
Unless you have very large fish in the pond they isn't going to be a current to carry the debri to the bottom drain unless you have an outside source creating a current. Yes I would suggest a larger pump. At 700 gph the water is going to be moving so slow in the pipe from the bottom drain to the pump that the debri will drop out of the column of water.

Thanks in advance,
Joseph

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
One of my favorite ground covers is ajuga. We found one that is purple and pink in the leaves, and sends up small blue spiked flowers in the spring to early summer making it look like a fairy garden. Here's a pic showing how the creeping jenny (lysmachia) and ajuga look together. Obviously the purpley stuff is the ajuga and the yellow green is the creeping jenny. This is growing in our garden in southeastern Pennsylvania, but I know they will grow in Wisconsin because I've seen both up around Green Bay, so I assume it will grow in Illinois

Attachments

• lysmachia and ajuga.jpg
    lysmachia and ajuga.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 279

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
very pretty joanie I need to look for the ajuga like the looks of it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ajuga is very pretty plant but watch it carefully. It can spread but is slow to do so in most cases. You can keep it under control by just cutting it off by stabbing w/ a shovel and pulling out the new growth. It will grow into your lawn and try to take over the lawn and the Ajuga will win. Just don't plant it too near a lawn or watch it carefully. I had it once but pulled it all out cuz I am a lazy gardener and wouldn't keep on top of it. It took years to get it all out tho. Kept coming back from runners underground. They really like shade as sun makes them look kinda sickly.

Reaction score
Love the color with the creeping Jenny Joanie, I'll have to get some of that!

James, seems like a life time ago, but I had a japanese garden ( or thats what I called it lol) at my first house. As far as trees go, Idk how much room you have but there are a few trees that will give you the look you're going for, all of which I believe are hardy in your area.
Bare with me I have a tendency to get a bit long winded when I'm talking about Landscaping :)
-What I have right now at my current home is a Weeping Cherry, it will get about 20-25ft tall and is very pretty in the spring. Would work well with what you want, and grows slow-ish, but will get very dense if not thinned. You do need to watch how/ when (prune in early spring) you prune them, as they are susceptible to disease if the bark doesn't grow over right.
- Japanese weeping Maple pretty much the same specs. 20ft tall and is slow growing.

Now these next two I really find interesting and would love to use them in my yard but I've not found them around here...

- Wych Elm ( or we call it Camperdown Elm around here) Now, as I said idk how much room you have, this tree will get about 20 ft tall but gets around 30FEET WIDE. It is a Beautiful tree and would really be wonderful in a setting like you want, but you would have to have the room for it. Even though it has low-ish boughs (kind of like an umbrella) I've seen alot of beautiful shade gardens designed under these trees. Doesn't need alot of maintenance, is a fast grower, has a Bonsai look and is a deciduous tree. Oh and it gets yellow leaves in the fall. I just love the texture of this tree. :D

:) .... Still awake ?!? Lol
- Weeping Norwegian Spruce ( can you tell I like Weeping Trees? :D ) this one is a unique tree I think... It can get up to 30ft tall but will only get around 10ft wide. Striking tree really.. It has long pendulous branches and it's lower boughs will reach the ground.

There are several Dwarf trees... Yoshino Cherry (also weeping), Burgundy Lace Maple, FireGlow Maple, these will get about 10 ft tall

Ok, Blah blah blah. I'll get off my soapbox now or I'll start in on bushes :)
Anywho... Hope it helps you get an idea
p.s. Check out the Weeping Kastura Tree, also a interesting tree

Reaction score
The level of winter protection required depends on where you live and how exposed your garden is. In sheltered city gardens, you may get away with not protecting tender plants at all. However, if you're going to experiment, do pay attention to weather forecasts - don't get caught out by a sudden hard frost

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wish it would get here faster.I have been getting some done but not as much as I want .I have to get as much done in my yard as I can because I want to change out the filter tank on my pond and that is going to take 2 or 3 days of work and want to only concentrate on getting that done right .I can say PA and NJ are really lush green states ,but since I have lived in both i guess I am prejudice . :razz: here it is just dry but it is warmer at least and not as much snow .

Ask a Question