Water hawthorn sharing a pot with another plant?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
'ello all! I am planning to use water hawthorn, Aponogeton distachyos, in my container water garden. However, that plant goes dormant during the summer, so I am trying to find something to pick up the slack and flower in the hottest months. I have heard some people suggest putting a hardy water lily in with the hawthorn in the same pot...supposedly the lily would flower in the warmer months and the hawthorn would take over before and after the summer. In practice, is this really a good idea? If this helps, all the plants in this container water garden will be overwintered indoors in a water filled storage bin with several 100 watt, 6500k lightbulbs and with a fan to push temps down into the 50's fahrenheit.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Worth a try, but make sure you get a MINIATURE lily, as any of the larger varieties can take up ten square feet of water surface, a luxury they are unlikely to have in a 24' wide pot.
John

Ask a Question