Water Hawthorn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For those who grow water hawthorn, do you have it potted? Is it growing from a. tuber? Do you have to divide it like you do lilies?

I've never seen it sold locally so I'm wondering if it's invasive?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have mine potted, very slow to take off, last year and this year I have flowers. Three plants in one 10inch or so pot, no where close to filling the pot. I have it around 6 inches deep in the water. I had to order on line.

Never divided just thrilled it is growing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think Collin had huge " forests" of it and it grew free floating. I haven't seen her post in a while, is she still on the forum ?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think Collin had huge " forests" of it and it grew free floating. I haven't seen her post in a while, is she still on the forum ?
That may have been hornwort, that stuff makes a forest and is free floating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I tucked mine in my pot with a water lily. It worked well, since it grows and blooms when the lily is asleep. I have never repotted it. I think the flowers also produced seeds. I have seen teeny water hawthorn leaves in weird places, so it has reproduced on its own!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe Hawthorne is one of those plants that hates being disturbed and takes a year before it gets going.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe Hawthorne is one of those plants that hates being disturbed and takes a year before it gets going.
I have let it putz along, not touched not moved. This year thought I had killed it off, when we dumped the leaking tub. It ended up under water for 24 hours, when I pulled it up all the leaves were mush. Let it sit and leaves slowly started growing again. And three buds! Moved it again as we worked on the pond, but not repotting, trying to keep it at the same water level. So far it is still alive!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks everyone! I'm going to look for some online. I saw it on a pond video I was watching and was intrigued!

Ask a Question