Water Hyacinth dying in indoor pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I am new to ponds and the plants in them. I have a small patio pond 18gal with a pump and waterfall I made. It is doing great. So I got a heavy-duty tote of about 10gal and set up a pump with a fountain on it. I have a full spectrum light about 8 inches from the pond surface. The overflow of water Hyacinth I bring in from the patio pond dies off in about two weeks. I have no fish in ether pond I might later. What do I need to do to grow the plants? I have some house plant food will that work or do I need fish emulsion to feed the plants. My main goal is to be able to overwinter them indoors. I live in GA just 30 miles south of Atlanta we can get cold here sometimes. I will try to post pics of my ponds the indoors I just put two plants in today since I added just a little of my houseplant food to the water.
Thanks for any help.
Alfred
20210713_151756.jpg
20210713_151656.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am new to ponds and the plants in them. I have a small patio pond 18gal with a pump and waterfall I made. It is doing great. So I got a heavy-duty tote of about 10gal and set up a pump with a fountain on it. I have a full spectrum light about 8 inches from the pond surface. The overflow of water Hyacinth I bring in from the patio pond dies off in about two weeks. I have no fish in ether pond I might later. What do I need to do to grow the plants? I have some house plant food will that work or do I need fish emulsion to feed the plants. My main goal is to be able to overwinter them indoors. I live in GA just 30 miles south of Atlanta we can get cold here sometimes. I will try to post pics of my ponds the indoors I just put two plants in today since I added just a little of my houseplant food to the water.
Thanks for any help.
Alfred
View attachment 141009View attachment 141010
I too have tried (and barely succeeded) overwintering; still not getting the type of growth/sustainability I want. though. I start with 4 and end up with one, and a small version too! I do believe they need warm water and strong light, including UV. That's my next step this coming winter, to see if I can increase both the above parameters. They are heavy feeders, so I'd but some soluable fertilzer in your bins every couple of weeks at least.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I too have tried (and barely succeeded) overwintering; still not getting the type of growth/sustainability I want. though. I start with 4 and end up with one, and a small version too! I do believe they need warm water and strong light, including UV. That's my next step this coming winter, to see if I can increase both the above parameters. They are heavy feeders, so I'd but some soluable fertilzer in your bins every couple of weeks at least.

Good Luck!
I have switched from an LED daylight bulb to a CFL daylight bulb that is brighter according to my light meter. I might need to up the plant food a little. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States

Good Luck!
I found this video I might try this on a small scale to see how it works. I will let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I found this video I might try this on a small scale to see how it works. I will let you know what happens.
well, I haven't tried garden soil yet, so could have two batches--one in water, one in soil. I still think warmer water is necessary, though. And I DID note in the video about 'look a little grumpy'; yeah, no kidding, and that's about the time they start to deteriorate and die. It's trying to get them to thrive that I'm looking for, not grumpy as in 'on their way out'. But, it's an experiment waiting to happen. Good luck to you, too. Most will say, correctly, that water hyacinth are just too inexpensive to buy to go through all this trouble and I tend to agree. I can get one decent sized plant for $4 in the spring and have 20 in a month from propagation, so I understand that sentiment. But there's something to not bringing in outside pests and whatnot with overwintering that I like.

Ask a Question